Sign in to follow this  
Vin0770

Fat Greyhound....?

It just dawned on me how much high protein no grain dog food I'm feeding these two grey's...two cups in the morning and two for supper (each) and then our activity is lower than when we can go to the dog park for a nice run when it's not sub-zero...and these guy look GREYT!

If our Golden Retriever would have eaten 4 cups a day of this high protein food he would have weighed 100 lbs...we kept him in shape and loved it when he was the same as these two grey's...70 lbs.

Do Greyhounds get fat? I'm new to these guys and it dawned on me....I've never seen a fat greyhound....EVER!

Yup, greyhounds get fat.
And all my adopters know, I will tell them that the moment their galgo looks like a greyhound, they are too fat.

All dogs can get fat and specially in winter, with less exercise you have to be careful

Guest Doggone

IMHO, any dog, just like any person, can get fat. :(

A fat greyhound often looks like a regular (or even thin) dog of another breed. So...yes they can get fat. It just isn't as noticeable. :)

A fat greyhound often looks like a regular (or even thin) dog of another breed. So...yes they can get fat. It just isn't as noticeable. :)

:nod

Good to know they can get fat. Do they get fat like other dogs look when they are fat? I have been weighing them every month and so far so good which is really what surprises me versus just the way they look. I think mine are getting out of shape conditioning wise because we haven't had the intense exercise the park gives us, they seem to get winded quicker these days playing in the house with me. I wish I was as fat as a Greyhound.... :chow

Guest DogNewbie

I think you are supposed to see thier last 2-3 ribs to indicate a healthy/good weight

Guest Lillypad

And this article is worth a read as well http://greytarticles.wordpress.com/feeding-nutrition/go-figure-weight-issues/

Just make sure that the kibble you are feeding has little or better yet no carbohydrates from grains. Don't be fooled that one type of grain is better than another, ie - rice better than corn. Research has found that carbohydrates = starch = sugar and may be the cause for unwanted weight gain and contribute to cancers. Research has found that some cancers thrive on sugars. Not attempting to plug a product (suggest this product only because I researched their white paper listing ingredients and product composition and I felt confident because the product is made in Canada) but there is a line of Acana and Orijen dog kibble that is grain carbohydrate free. They pride themselves on using vegetable and herb carbohydrates to bind their ingredients. Of course there may be other great products out there; this is the only one I researched in depth. While I feel this is an excellent product, I have done even more research and decided to feed a raw diet. I mention all of this as a caution, I believe it is much harder to take the weight off than put it on (well maybe I speak for myself, ha,ha.) There was also an excellent chart showing the best weights for greyhounds going around facebook at one point, sorry I can't seem to find that. Maybe another member knows of it. Hope this is helpful, Regards

Edited by Lillypad

Guest IrskasMom

I sometimes thought my Irska was slightly Overweight , but in reality he was a big Boy and always had a greyt Appetite .

I got Ace and CeeCee when their owner died, and his friend could no longer care for them. CeeCee is a small black female greyhound, but she looked like a chunky black lab when I got her. No ribs visible, no tuck, and plenty of meat on her sides.

Yes, they do get fat!

CeeCee now looks like a small black female greyhound!

I had a foster that I used to visit frequently and I called him a striped lab. But because he was so other animal unsafe and no fenced yard, he got very little exercise.

The fattest greyhound I've ever seen was raw fed. Belongs to a friend. It's no panacea. She's losing a bit now but is still chunky.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Lillypad

Agree with PrairieProf, of course one type of nutrition does not work for all dogs. We are tasked to find the best possible nutrition that works best for our dogs and administer it properly. I wish there was a panacea for aliments, ... only in a perfect world.

Lillypad...I saw those articles last night searching around for other threads and they are AWESOME...thanks for posting. I don't know why but on this forum it doesn't let me post another link or do the quote or mulitquote thing here so thanks for putting that up!

I loved the pictures and points to refer too and the lesson that what we think is a healthy dog running around in those commercials usually is one that is round and overweight. It took me a while to get use to the Greyhound look with the ribs showing and the boney hip bones and spine showing but now I know. My vet said a couple more pounds on them when I adopted them but now I know what to look for. They still have the three ribs showing...hip bones...and spine but clearly have filled in a bit when I look back at day one pics.

So now they get 1.25 cups of food per meal instead of 2 but they get two big milk bones for rewards during the day that I had just forgot about!

Another day...another lesson!!!!

Bu is one of the skinniest greyhounds I know and he eats 6-8 cups of food a day. I've seen fat greyhounds who eat 3 cups a day. Just feed what's right for your dog.

Guest Lillypad

Glad you found it interesting and information, I know I did. I am a visual learner, so the photos made it extra beneficial to me. I am constantly searching and researching the best form of nutrition for my dog. She has had less than stelar bowel/stool production (forgive the graphics) and I am working to improve that. At this time I am reading any and everything on Greytalk reference feeding and nutrition. I have spent most of the day reading http://forumgreytalk....feeding+basics. I am new to the forum and rather new to greyhounds in general. We will have had our girl for two years in April. I can become rather melancholy when I think of her life expectancy being 12-15 and she is 5 now. Getting them later in their life makes our time with them somewhat shortened . So I endeavor to do all that I can to keep her healthy and extend the time we can share together. I absolutely adore her. We say in our household we should have called her Mary rather than Lilly, because she is "partially perfect in every way" Congratulations on your new boys, you are ambitious to adopt two. It has crossed our thoughts to get a second.. but for now we just have Mary.... err mean Lilly.

Saw Lee Livingood at an event once & she had a great way to generally tell if your grey was either too skinny or too fat.

Make a fist of your hand, run your fingers of the other hand over your knuckles - that's too thin

Run your fingers over the back of your hand - that's too heavy

Run your fingers over the fingers of the fisted hand - that's just right - should be able to feel the ribs on a grey.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Lillypad...thanks for the wishes and welcome to Greytalk lots of information and willing opinions here.

Ozgirl....that is a great story/analogy to use, I totally get it! My dogs were both "knuckles" when we got them on the ribs and I was not use to that and thought they were way malnourished because I didn't know "the grey" look. Now they are just about right, I see their three last ribs and feel them nicely like my fingers. Their hip bones are not nearly as pronounced and same with their spine so they have definitely filled in a bit. They both have the nice "suck up" waist going but I now am much more conscious about the types of calories I'm putting in them.

Sammi is large for a female (most people think that she is a male) and she sits comfortably at 76 pounds. A few years ago when she was sick, the meds that she was on caused her to... puff up. She shot to almost 90 pounds! I was floored when they weighed her. Took me almost a year to get that weight off of her and get her back to where she wasn't panting on a walk or showing strain on her hips & legs.

She's lost some of her tuck & tone, has some loose skin on her neck, but she is also 11. Can feel ribs, see the last 2..

I think you are supposed to see their last 2-3 ribs to indicate a healthy/good weight

And if you're holding food, you can see ALL of Sammi's ribs

Plus her spine

And her hip bones

And the biggest brown eyes on the planet.

Edited by Gryffenne

A few years ago when she was sick, the meds that she was on caused her to... puff up. She shot to almost 90 pounds! I was floored when they weighed her. Took me almost a year to get that weight off of her and get her back to where she wasn't panting on a walk or showing strain on her hips & legs.

Poor Sammi... Some of my meds cause me to puff up 15 pounds too! I just wish I had a diligent owner that would help me get the weight off :lol

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Unfortunately, I have seen way too many fat Greyhounds. :(

Unfortunately, I have seen way too many fat Greyhounds. :(

So have I. Lots of them. Greyhounds are supposed to be very lean with a pronouned tuck. A lot of people seem to be blind to their own greyhound's obesity.

Oops! Double quote.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown