Is It Ever Just A Strain?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Greta was running around in our backyard like a banshee this morning. When she was finished, I thought I noticed an ever so slight limp or jauntiness to her back leg.

This evening when she went out to do her business, it seemed the same (not worse, not better). I could even be imagining it.

Anyway, reason and rational thinking would lead me to conclude she might've tweaked her leg or hip a little while she was doing zoomies.

Obviously I'll keep an eye on her, but tell me, is it ever just a strain? Or is that something we say to ourselves?

I've never had a dog strain a muscle, tendon, ligament, etc. I'm new to that kind of owie!

Yes. Especially if she was running around.

If you can keep her from running for a few days, it might help.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Yep. Chase has tendonitis in one leg that acts up whenever he runs or plays too hard or we walk a little too far on our walks. Scared the begeezus out of us when it first happened! The initial diagnosis was a year or so ago and our vet prescribed a course of deramax with total rest for about 4 weeks. Also we did 2 laser treatments for inflamation that did seem to help. Chase is almost 11 now. The tendonitis hasn't flared up nearly as bad as the initial incident but we do try to limit his opportunities to run full out these days.

Hope Greta just needs a couple of rest days and it is nothing serious.

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

Yes. A limp can be caused by several things however sometimes we cannot diagnose what the cause is. If you have doubts, a vet visit is in order and an x-ray if you want piece of mind. Good thoughts for Greta and she recovers quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My 9 yr old Opal developed a limp on the right forearm in the summer. Of course I thought the worse, especially when it didn't go away. Turned out to be tendonitis which can take a very long time to heal. And if untreated may end up with calcium deposits in the tendon which cause permanent pain.

A month of anti-inflamatories and rest did the trick for Opal.

Oh, goodness yes. Here we call it "a hitch in your git-along". Just a minor soreness that lasts for a day or two or three. They usually occur after the first snow - when "snow zoomies" attack, or on the first warm day of spring - when "cabin feever" is busted. Or if dog-friends come to visit and we get a bit over-zealous in our running around and rough-play. Any time dogs get a little crazy. Or from the occasional "missed jump" onto a couch or into a vehicle.

Same as us. Ya playz - ya payz. Especially if you're not in "racing form" anymore.

If the problem continues - check it out. If it goes away - it was just a sprain or a strain.

Guest lynne893

Thanks everybody! I appreciate your reassurance. I'm keeping my eye on her and have asked DH to do the same (he mostly works from home, so he gets to observe her more than me).