Previcox - Safe To Use?

Brady has a host of health issues and this unusually cold winter is really taking its toll. He feels best with the addition of an NSAID to his arsenal. He has taken Deramax in the past without issue. He does have early renal issues, for which he is also taking medication. The vet recommended that he take Previcox since she has found it to cause less compromise than other NSAIDs. I read what I could about Previcox here and now I am fretting. I would hate to give him something to make him feel better and end up killing him.

Thoughts? TIA

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I was so hoping that you would see this! Thanks so much.

Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Just watch him when he first starts taking it. Fletcher had some side effects and had to stop, but "Issue Boy" was the dictionary definition of quirky, so Brady will probably be fine.

Side effects were similar to what I have seen described here for some dogs that have a problem with Tramadol (which he was fine with).

Guest sireltonsmom

Previcox worked so well for my boy who was on it as well as Tramadol for several months. It made him live longer comfortably I feel. Kiss sweet Brady for us.

Brady actually has trouble with Tramadol, so I will keep an extra close watch on him. Thanks for the warning!

I do hope it will work and will be happy to give him a kiss! He is such a love. I am honored to be able to have him for his golden years. (I got him at age 11)

Just a word of warning, 2 years ago when I had my 6 month old puppy spayed, she had a reaction to the Previcox and almost died. I'm still not sure why she didn't. Now there is a big note in her file that says NO PREVICOX, NO RIMADYL.

The information I read about the dogs who DO have a reaction to Previcox was very disturbing. It is effective and safe for the majority of dogs (all of my other dogs have taken Previcox or Rimadyl with no side effects), but if you have that 1 dog in a 1000 that is allergic to it, it's very bad - bad enough to lead to many deaths.

Just wanted to post this so people will know that reactions can and do happen to real people - not just stories in the newspaper.

It's a NSAID. It can produce the same side effects as the others.

:nod

Yes, that's right. It may be 'milder' on the kidneys than others. My last dog was on it in her final months but she'd been on Metacam until she reached 14 anyway. Her CRF became terminal and we wanted quality of life for her rather than duration. When you start that drug ask the vet for Zantac or Omeprazole to keep stomach acid production down or maybe take some Sucralfate.

Previcox worked well for our grey. I second JohnF's recommendation to add an acid reducer to the mix. We gave Lana a famotidine (Pepcid) a half hour before breakfast. Then we gave her Previcox (1/2 tablet) with dinner. She wouldn't swallow the tablet, so we crushed it and mixed it with baby food. Then two hours after dinner we gave her Sucralfate. (She was having some GI issues at the time, so the vet wanted to be extra careful.)