Kebo Not Eating Well

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Hi there...

Some of you may know Kebo from H&M but for those who don't, a little backstory.

He is 11, will be 12 in a few weeks and underwent a partial maxillectomy for fibrosarcoma in April 2011. He had a second cancer, hemangioperiocytoma in his left wrist in 2012 which was treated with injection chemotherapy. He has arthritis in his back and has been getting acupuncture intermittently for the last few years. He has advanced periodontal disease and had a dental in the fall. He also has what we think is reflux (he does this hoarking, licking, coughing thing that is way more pronounced than a reverse sneeze) and has been on omeprazole 20mg twice daily since September 2013. Vet did exam for LP at his last dental and says everything looked fine. Our house routine is breakfast at 6am, dinner at 6pm and hasn't changed in the 9 years he has been with us. There have been times where he would eat his meals slowly but he has always gotten up at 6 and attempted to eat...until recently.

We lost Lucas to osteo in November. Lucas was with us for 5 short years. Lucas didn't eat well for a few weeks before he left but he loved chicken so we always put a few pieces of cooked chicken in his food to stimulate his appetite. Kebo and Tiel would get a piece or two also. After Lucas died Kebo didn't show as much interest in his food but would eat if we added the chicken. We cut him some slack because we thought he might be grieving but after a few weeks of having to add chicken to his bowl to get him to eat we decided it was time to get back to "normal". (2 cups kibble, 1 scoop nupro powder, 2 fish oil caps, water, omeprazole) He wouldn't eat. We had just gotten a new bucket of Nupro and it was a little lighter in color than usual so I thought it might taste different. We stopped adding it and he ate some better. I offered him a handful of dry kibble one day and he ate it great. Okay, I gave him a bowl of dry kibble. He would take such a large amount at a time that he coughed and choked on it but finished the bowl. Okay, try a smaller kibble. We got the "small breed" formulation of our regular kibble (identical nutrition info) and gave that to him dry. He finished but choked. We added water back but he would sniff and walk away.

Now he is sleeping through breakfast. He wakes me up at 3am or 3pm for turnout and sleeps until 9 or 10am. He might eat after first turnout or he might not. He started looking thin to me. In desperation I added low-sodium chicken broth. Aha! Clean bowls for a few days. We had an acupuncture treatment and that vet recommended a couple of flower essences for grief. Not much change. Thinking the omeprazole might be suppressing his appetite we held it for a few days but the hoarking came back. He is back on it but just once a day. His poops haven't changed, he still patrols the fence and checks his various construction projects in the backyard, he still lets us know when someone walks past the house.

Off to the vet we went (he hates car travel) and he was up 2 pounds from his last visit but down 5 pounds from this time last year. Normal bloodwork, TBD negative, vaccine titers okay. Vet's thoughts were that yes it could be grief but with the cold weather his back might be bothering him and he might just not feel like getting up. We have added deramaxx daily for a few weeks to see if there is a change. There are some days that he wakes me up at 6 for breakfast and he finishes his bowl and some days he doesn't. I have a message to our acupuncture vet about herbs for arthritis (at my regular vets request) and will get her over for acupuncture a little more frequently.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm not at the point that I am looking to pack on pounds, his weight is semi-acceptable at the moment. It is the change in routine and change in interest in food that has me concerned. He is always ready to eat a treat or to ask for a bite of our food (which he absolutely never gets). Should I just try a different kibble? I do not want to cultivate a picky eater (worse than he already is).

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance. Because I know the rules I am attaching a couple of pictures.

p128294092-4.jpg

p461405569-4.jpg

Longshot, but was a urinalysis done when he had his bloodwork?

If you can't find anything .... At some point in the game, I give up and just cook for the dog -- scrambled eggs, ground beef, the chicken breasts, poached chicken livers ..... And/or try things like smelly canned food (Tripett).

Scritchies to your darling boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not sure what your feeding, but he may have stopped eating because the kibble doesn't agree with his stomach anymore. I had the similar problem last year with Nadir. He would eat something for a day or two then sniff and turn away from it by the 3rd or 4th day. I finally came across Canine Caviar Chicken and Pearl Millet. What drew my attention to it was the use of millet instead of other grains, potatoes, peas, or chickpeas as the carbohydrate source. I picked up a small bag and decided to give it a try. He has now been eating it for about 5 months now and has rarely not finished what is in his bowl.

It wasn't until he had been eating it for about a month that I read this about millet from their website.

http://www.caninecaviar.com/product/chicken-pearl-als/

Pearl Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous, non-acid forming, beneficial to the stomach, spleen and pancreas, and is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available. Millet is a good source of fiber, a complete protein and is rich in phytochemicals, which lower cholesterol and the risk of cancer. Millet is one of the best grains for intestinal disorders and is ideal for the management of blood sugar.

A mom knows her boy--something is amiss. I think the next step would be radiographs and an abdominal ultrasound. In the meantime I would add in some homecooked foods. I have been known to make a crockpot stew for my guys--super easy and they love it. I like to use skinless breast meat with assorted veggies (white meat to keep the fat content down-you don't want to start or aggravate any GI upset/pancreatitis). Give that boy a smooch!

All I can offer is good thoughts to one of my favourite GT pups. Please give Kebo a hug for me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Awwww Kebo...hope you can get this solved soon. Poor boy has been through so much. :kiss2

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greytkidsmom

Longshot, but was a urinalysis done when he had his bloodwork?

If you can't find anything .... At some point in the game, I give up and just cook for the dog -- scrambled eggs, ground beef, the chicken breasts, poached chicken livers ..... And/or try things like smelly canned food (Tripett).

Scritchies to your darling boy.

No UA but good thought. It is certainly easy enough to check.

Not sure what your feeding, but he may have stopped eating because the kibble doesn't agree with his stomach anymore.

Something else I have thought about. We feed Nutro Ultra and have always with the exception of this summer when the acupuncture vet recommended we change to a "cooler" food when we were trying to figure out the panting/hoarking issue. I think we used Canyon Creek Ranch Beef/barley and turkey/barley. It didn't change the hoarking thing and their poops were really weird. We have used a different small breed food after his dentals (can't remember the brand now) because it has such tiny kibbles. He has always tolerated it well. I might try that for a bit.

If you like I would be happy to send you a bit for Kebo to try. Also, as an added bonus it is a small size kibble.

Nadir was also doing a lot of panting especially when it was time for him to go outside to go to the bathroom. He panted the entire time I was walking him around. When he started eating this food the panting during those times stopped. He just recently started the panting again, so lately I have been adding Konsyl physillium fiber, because it seems his stools have tended to be on the too firm side.

Guest greytkidsmom

Another thought--how are his teeth-gums???

They are as good as they can be for him. He has the stereotypical greyhound teeth and atrocious gums but had a dental this fall with an extraction. Teeth look sound. Gums bleed like stink every time I brush him but that is nothing new.

Not wanting to be rude, but I do not think you will cultivate a picky eater with a dog that is almost 12. I would just give him what he wants.

Nope, not rude. I am prepared to do this if I can't find any medical explanation. Trouble is that our girl (Tiel) is as food motivated as it gets and we are starting to see some behavior problems associated with the extra feedings, extra add-ins, etc. She always gets a little of what we put on his food but is seriously offended that he gets his bowl to try to finish his kibble after each turnout. I try to reward her with skritches, extra attention, and a treat or two but she is less than happy with what she thinks is extra food she is missing out on.

I picked up a bag of that food we give him after dentals - Innova adult small bite. He darn near had a romantic interlude with the bag when I brought it in. Here's hoping it does the trick.

If you like I would be happy to send you a bit for Kebo to try. Also, as an added bonus it is a small size kibble.

Nadir was also doing a lot of panting especially when it was time for him to go outside to go to the bathroom. He panted the entire time I was walking him around. When he started eating this food the panting during those times stopped. He just recently started the panting again, so lately I have been adding Konsyl physillium fiber, because it seems his stools have tended to be on the too firm side.

Thanks for the offer. Will try the stuff I got today and see. The panting actually went away after we put him on omeprazole. If they could only talk...

Yay for Kebo! As for his romantic interest in his food - different strokes for different folks! :rofl Loved your comparison - too funny! Fingers crossed your cutie keeps eating for you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow