Tick Hiding Places

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

The evil demons are still hiding in my house. :tick:tick:tick

Pulled two somewhat engorged ones off chance the past two days. I have vacuumed, sprayed, treated, and done everything... Where in the world do these things hide? The only ones I have managed to find have been relatively in the open. We are still under 10 as far as numbers go; but I know there must be more because we keep finding them.

The tick treatments don't seem to be killing them either.

Are you sure your guy isn't picking up new ticks outside? Ticks will still be around in cold weather. I think you won't see much of them when the temp goes below freezing and stays there, but they can pop out again if you have a single warm day. And, if I remember correctly, ticks are attracted to warm bodies (and to moisture), so if it's chilly outside, the critters will be attracted to a passing dog (or owner). I think tick preventatives on the dogs usually don't repel the tick; they just kill the feeding tick.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest carriej

I'm in Eastern Canada lol, we have lots of snow and we just don't have ticks here. Maybe deep in the woods you might see a deer tick; but these are dog ticks. Considering the other week it was -35 I think any ticks outside would have become ticksicles.

Chance came up in October from Florida and some hitch hiked with him, or maybe the foster before that; but I was too stunned to really notice a difference. My vet told me not to worry because ticks don't "infest" a house. However I took a tick in and she's like "Um this is not a native tick". Then she proceeded to tell me that some dog ticks CAN complete their life cycle inside... If only I had been more diligent when he came up :(

Guest carriej

Nope... No real trees here; and no wood either. I live in the "city"

I am concerned about tick bombs because I have a very large aquarium... But I have been investigating for other things I can use.

ticks will hide in the cracks in between the floor boards, the moulding and anywhere else they can squeeze into. remember they start off very tiny. many years ago i knew a dog person whose house i refused to enter- ticks totally out of control! be diligent in your research, maybe contact some of the vet. schools and humane societies to see what's new or successful.

Guest carriej

My husband is a flooring installer; and he is going to seal all around the edges of all the rooms in the house so if they're in there, they are stuck.

We removed all the baseboards, sprayed them and put them back on. We did not see any ticks but I feel better.