Gabapentin

Just wondering what dose most peoples greyhounds are on for LS? Dylan is on 200mg AM and PM and I see his backend "stumbling" gradually getting worse...not sure if he needs an increase or not. My vet is on vacation until Monday and I want to wait for him as the other vet is not as greyhound savvy..

Edited by Newgreymom

Aston's been on 300mg 2x daily since he was diagnosed in April, along with 500mg methocarbamol (muscle relaxer) 2x daily and tramadol 100mg 2x daily. Not 100% sure that the gaba and tramadol have helped (sure wish he could tell me), but the methocarbamol has helped a ton.
His hind end weakness got suddenly and progressively worse over several days at the end of Dec., at which point we started him on Adequan injections and got him acupuncture (in which the acupuncturist used B12 injections). He has not had another bout of severe weakness since the acu & adequan came into play. Gentle massage of his legs, hips and the musculature along his spine has also helped, though I'm really careful in areas that are always tight (like along his topline).

hope this helps! scritchies for Dylan :heart

Brady gets 200 mg twice a day, but you can give it every 8 hours. However, he also gets Robaxin, a muscle relaxer, which also helps. He tends to tense up which also causes issues.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Aston's been on 300mg 2x daily since he was diagnosed in April, along with 500mg methocarbamol (muscle relaxer) 2x daily and tramadol 100mg 2x daily. Not 100% sure that the gaba and tramadol have helped (sure wish he could tell me), but the methocarbamol has helped a ton.

His hind end weakness got suddenly and progressively worse over several days at the end of Dec., at which point we started him on Adequan injections and got him acupuncture (in which the acupuncturist used B12 injections). He has not had another bout of severe weakness since the acu & adequan came into play. Gentle massage of his legs, hips and the musculature along his spine has also helped, though I'm really careful in areas that are always tight (like along his topline).

hope this helps! scritchies for Dylan :heart

Edit to add -- just saw dante2zoe's post, and meant to mention that methocarbamol is the generic of Robaxin. The nice things about these meds is that they're human meds, too, and easy to get at costco :)

They can become ataxic when first starting gabapentin--it's a medication your hound needs to adjust to. I would back the dosage down to 100mgs twice daily then, work up to 100mgs three times a day. Once you feel an adjustment has been made then, increase the dosage to 200mgs and so on. Gabapentin is a medication that really doesn't have a cap on the dosage but, most hounds are traditionally given 300mgs three times daily to manage pain.

Edited by tbhounds

Jetson is on 300 mgs three times a day. We did start on the lower dose and work our way up until we saw improvement. So did I! I take it for my fibro.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I'm sorry I forgot to mention he is on Methocarbomol also, but only 500mg at night. I think his issue is tight muscles along the low spine area. I think I will ask my vet to raise the Meth dosage. Tracy, he has been on this dose of Gabapentin for quite awhile now. It's not something we just started, so I don't think it can be from the Gabapentin. So maybe an increase of Methocarbomol would be the most beneficial. His chiropractor said he is always tight everywhere...he's a very sensitive boy :)

Upping the dose won't help the stumbling unless it's caused by pain, which is may well not be.

Nerve damage causes numbness, and he may simply be having trouble controlling his limbs.

I've noticed the same thing with George, but he does not seem to be in any extra pain.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We did 300 mg x 3 times per day for a long time, but for Asta's last year and a half she did well taking it down to 2 x daily. I credit acupuncture with improving things well enough for that.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

• 6 months later...
Guest agadoresmama

my boy Agadore is about to turn 11, and he had an MRI last week due to back issues. He has always been a creeper when he poos...walks all over the yard..didn't realize it was a back issue. Most recently his back end collapses....he just looks like he is sitting down, but he can't get up.....the MRI shows he has 2 fused discs and a partial rupture in his lumbar region.....Agadore has been on Rimadyl once a day and Tramadol 100 mg up to 3 times a day for pain. We have tried acupuncture, cold laser, supplements including Dasuquin, and massage. On Friday he took his first ever Gabapentin 300 mg pill. He was ZONKED....totally out of it...could not stand AT ALL. Called the vet, who said to take him off the gabapentin..... Agadore was given a depomedrol shot on Wednesday also......he seems less stiff when getting up from a prone position....he also seems to be navigating the stairs a little better.... hoping to find some relief for my boy....he's my souldog.