Rickie (June 28, 1998 - January 14, 2014)

Rickiesmom

Rickie-whippet originally belonged to my dad and stepmother, but in the way a particular dog and human will bond, Rickie was my dad's dog.

In early 2000, when Rickie was 22 months old, my parents were killed in a car crash and Rickie came to live with me. I had two old dogs at the time, and lost both of them that year as well. Rickie was my light.

He was a wild child, the "Troublemaker", "Little Sh!t" or "Sh!tlet" for short - a flower eating, bee-catching, shoe-chewing, furniture-leaping, stuffie destroyer. Most of all though, he was my velcro dog, my snuggle bug, my unconditionally loving and trusting boy. There is no greater gift or privilege.

He was also a lemon. Beginning in 2004 with a dislocated carpus that required partial fusion surgery, Rickie had a series of injuries and illnesses that resulted in two cancer surgeries, and another to remove a benign growth that would have infiltrated his chest. He had ligament problems, arthritis, and he broke his tail. He had the dubious distinction of a two-volume file at the local specialty clinic, where staff I'd never met knew him by name. He handled it all with indomitable optimism and trust. He never lost his bounce, fanatical love of frisbees, or sense of special privilege in the house.

Since the beginning of December there have been waxing and waning neurological issues. After seeming to rally, the last day or two were hard, and though medical options remained, it was time to let him be peaceful and whole.

And so this afternoon, at 15 1/2, Rickie left my arms to fly back into the waiting arms of my dad. The joy of that reunion is the glue holding my heart together.

Forever,

Rickiesmom

Edited by Rickiesmom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so this afternoon, at 15 1/2, Rickie left my arms to fly back into the waiting arms of my dad. The joy of that reunion is the glue holding my heart together.

These sentences brought tears to my eyes. For all of your losses, I am so sorry. Godspeed, Rickie. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm so sorry. Run free, Rickie!

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oh no, Mary, I'm so sorry. Rickie was such a character and the two of you seemed like you would always be together. It must hurt even more since he was a connection to your dad. I have no doubt that they are together :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Mary :grouphug I am so sorry, both for your early loss and the one today of your special man. Remember, invisible threads are the strongest ties. :grouphug

Godspeed little won.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So very sorry for the loss of your special Ricky.

Remember all those good times......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will always remember your boy.

Fly away free, Rickie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry that your special boy--your connection to your Dad--had to leave. Even though he had a very long and much too eventful life, he could never stay long enough.

Godspeed Rickie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A light has truly gone out with the passing of Rickie.

He was one of a very few honorary greyhounds at Camp Greyhound, and he'll not ever be forgotten. His antics often kept me in stitches, and he was not here long before I knew how he'd earned those nicknames of his. Several SSGG members fought over the honor of watching him at our very first annual picnic years ago. Those who received the honor never forgot their time with him.

Both Michelle and I wish Rickie godspeed to his new kingdom at the bridge, where I have no doubt he will continue with his entitled role, lording it over our many angels, including your beautiful girlie Arlie while enjoying his reunion with your Dad.

My heart goes out to you both during this sad time. You gave him a wonderful life, and he knew he was truly loved. Remember that in the coming days.

Run free Rickie.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)