Guest queenme2

Guest queenme2

I adopted Nina (greyhound) a few years back and I have a question / advice. Nina has been a great pet to us and the naughty cats. When we first got her she nipped at our son when he would sit on the couch with her. So I got her her own comfy bed and never allowed on the couch and they have been fine since. But now we have a 6 wk old baby and nina is not happy . She wont go near the baby she snubs her nose at the baby and pees or poos near all her stuff. And she has never had a potty problem until now. And when we leave her at home she poops and lays in it wheither she is in a kennel or a our master bath. I dont know what to do. Im worried about what to do once the baby is mobile. I never worried about nina around kids bc she had always been ok with them

How often is she taken out?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

3 times a day isn't often enough. If someone is home and things are going on, many dogs will want to go out every 3-4 hours at least. Might also get her in for a vet check, including urinalysis and fecal, if she hasn't had one recently.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest queenme2

3 times a day isn't often enough. If someone is home and things are going on, many dogs will want to go out every 3-4 hours at least. Might also get her in for a vet check, including urinalysis and fecal, if she hasn't had one recently.

I suppose so but we've had her 51/2 years and she'll just quickly walk back to the door or wont get up if she doesnt have to go. She'll normally walk to the door if she needs an extra potty break, but three times is her norm. Id say it was medical if she werent peeing on or next to the baby stuff

Stress commonly causes increased peeing and pooping. Even though 3 times a day may have been her norm, during this adjustment period, she needs to go out more often. A new baby brings a lot of unfamiliar sights, sounds, smells, and activities into the home, and this can be very unsettling as dogs thrive on a stable routine. Make sure she gets enough one-on-one attention, and keep her schedule as consistent as possible.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If she's going in the house, she needs to go out more often.

You can't tell whether it's medical or not without getting her tested.

I ALWAYS agree with Batmom.

There are probably two components. You're probably unable to give her very much attention right now, so she's bored/lonely/hurt/whatever. And my dog would really suffer if he only got out three times a day.

Perhaps look into a dog walker on a temporary basis? Get her out and get her really tired out for a month or two while you all adjust?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My dogs typically only go out 3 times a day and do fine. But, if there's been a big change I take them out 4-5+ times a day. Change can include having a foster or boarding dog over, going on vacation, going to someone's house for a play date, or even if I just have someone over for dinner. Change can be stressful to dogs and often when they're stressed they need to go out more. I'd rather take them out an extra time or two and set them up for success than for them to have an accident.

I've responded to your other post but thought I'd post it again here. I don't think Nina ignoring the baby should be seen as a bad thing. I think its a very appropriate response. I'd sure rather that then her be over curious of Sophia.

Is Nina used to being crated/ locked in the Master bath when you leave? If she's used to free run of the house this might explain her soiling in the house.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Payton goes out three times before I leave in the morning. I know you have had your dog for a long time, but changes can make them need to go out more.

I would NEVER force interaction between the dog and the baby. I believe the dog ignoring the baby is a good thing, especially at this point. I an a huge believer in extra treats and extra attention. There is no way around the fact that a new baby is a huge change for the dog. And I know you have your hands full with the new baby, but the dog is going to need some extra attention too.

Congratulations on the new baby.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD