Black Poop

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Hi Guys,

Black poop. Scary indeed.

However I don't feel as though it's bad black poop.. Just thought I would ask others for opinions.

Chance's poop is black. Not tarry black - just black. His poop is very formed and normal looking though. If you break it open (gross I know, the things we do) it's brown inside... Dark brown, but still brown.

What causes the outside of the poop to be black? His food is quite dark on it's own... He is fed Acana, which is a pretty high quality dog food.

This one.

http://www.acana.com/products/classics/chicken-burbank-potato/

Guest carriej

Always hard to tell with greyhounds since they are such lazy butts anyway. He seems totally fine... However the mystery of the black poop still prevails

Guest carriej

I lost Kowalla due to anemia, so I am all too familiar with the black poop (which is why I was so scared when I first seen it). Kowalla's poop was jet black all the way through, where as Chance's is just black on the outside, which I thought was strange.

However I am most certainly keeping a close eye on it.

Edited by carriej

Guest carriej

We just got him in October, and he had a hard time transitioning onto his food. I would say he started on this food mid October, but I would say he has been 100% on just this food (without rice added) for about 8 weeks.

However he used to have lots of bowel movements (3+ a day) and now he is down to 1-2 a day, I attributed this to finally becoming "used" to the food. My boy Freeman always had dark turds his entire life, and he ate the same food so I assumed this too.

There is also quite a bit of peas in this food. I read somewhere that a lot of greens in a food can make a dog have dark, almost black poop. Peas are the fifth ingredient, so I think there may be some merit to this...