New 4Health Grain Free Formulas

Guest WhiteWave

I got a bag of Salmon and Potato yesterday - and Diana LOVES it! That's good for us - she's been turning up her nose at food a lot lately - all she really liked was the small bag of "junk" food I bought when we ran out of "decent" food.

She's never had intestinal issues - so I can't help anyone with that. She'd eat a tire if you put tuna juice on it! LOL!

Guest Houston1219

I tried the grain free salmon for Brady. TOTAL disaster. I am going back to his old food for now to let his gut settle. Poor guy. I don't think sweet potato works for him, either. No grains, no chicken and no sweet potato. The choices are getting more and more narrow!

Houston had issues with chicken, turkey, and lamb, so that started us looking at alternative meats. He did well with fish or venison, but when we tried the same foods in the grain free varieties (Nutro Naturals Limited Ingredient line) not well at all!!!

The problem with many grain free foods is that the grains are usually replaced with potatoes. As any diabetic person could tell you in a heartbeat, that's quite a nutritional red flag! Potatoes are starch, starch becomes sugar. So, that grain free potato-loaded food agreed with my guys belly like a huge bowl of lucky charms!

There is a brand called Zignature that makes a grain free line of foods that uses green beans instead of potatoes to replace the grains. We did try it briefly, and he did love it, but we did not, because he is a gassy guy on anything but the nutro, and he can make your eyes burn as you run coughing from the room! :sick

The TOTW southwest canyon, or something like that, uses boar as a protein and instead of potatoes, chickpeas are the filler. He did pretty well on that - it was just a difficult flavor for me to find consistently. We did try the 4Health Beef and white potato. He did pretty well with that, too, so I think I am going to mix the two in order to stretch out the TOTW and keep me in a back up food, if needed.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrindleBabes

After years of trying a variety of foods, probiotics and Tylan with Grace, my vet turned me on to 4Health (she usually has 3-4 greys of her own at any given time.) Voila! Loose poop problem solved. They've been on Beef and Potato for two years and it's done well for both of my greys.

I found the duck in my local store once and the grrls loved it. Haven't seen it since. :(

BTW, I usually top the kibble off with 4Health canned food (usually lamb or chicken and rice).