Incontinence No Longer Controlled By Proin

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

Peace will soon be 12 and has been on Proin for 5 years without any problems. Each time we tried to stop the drug she would begin to leak. This week, she has had two accidents which occurred within 2 hours of her walks and was a fairly large amount. At first we blamed it on traveling for the holidays and a change of routine but the last accident occurred today at home. Of course, she will be going to the vet on Monday as soon as I can get an appointment but I just wondered if anyone on here has experienced this issue. I have to go back to work after New Years and I don't want her to have accident and get sore when no one is here to clean her. My husband and I work different times but she still has to go 6 hours without going outside. Has anyone switched to DES after using Proin? Any info is appreciated. Right now, her Proin dose is 62mg every 12 hours, she weighs 67 pounds. Perhaps her dosage needs adjusted?

thanks so much!

It could be an honest-to-goodness UTI--especially if she's actually peeing rather than leaking. If so, that'll be antibiotics.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Pro in always worked well for Grace. She was on it for about 5 years until I had to say goodbye one night at the e-vet. She was on one pill in the AM and 1/2 pill in the PM. I'm sorry that I can't remember the dosage by mg, maybe 75mg?? Anyhow, at one point I tried giving her 1/2 pill with each meal (AM and PM) and she started leaking after a few days. Back to a full pill in the morning = no leaking.

If she does not have a UTI I would consult with your vet about a safe dose increase.

Keep us posted!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Another possibility besides Proin and DES is Incurin, which came onto the market about a year ago: http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/news/2012-10-1.aspx

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest greybookends

Sheana is on it and we had to increase her dosage a couple of years ago. I'd check for a UTI first but she could need an increase in the dosage. When she first stated it was a quarter pill twice daily, now it is half a pill twice daily. She is twelve and has been on it for about 7-8 years now.

Guest peacehound

she will go to the vet tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever they can get her in, I plan to just have her complete senior bloodwork panel done, she is due next month anyways. Any suggestions on how to catch that morning pee? :thumbs-up

Guest peacehound

Peace will be starting DES as soon as the compounding pharmacy sends it to me. The vet said to give her both the DES and the Proin and then to wean down the amount of Proin given. It scares me to give my old girl any additional medication. Anyone have luck with DES? Part of me says to just live with the urine and replace floors later but I am afraid it will burn her if she lays in it while we are at work. sigh

Peace will be starting DES as soon as the compounding pharmacy sends it to me. The vet said to give her both the DES and the Proin and then to wean down the amount of Proin given. It scares me to give my old girl any additional medication. Anyone have luck with DES? Part of me says to just live with the urine and replace floors later but I am afraid it will burn her if she lays in it while we are at work. sigh

Sounds like a game plan. To be honest I would never use proin with one of my hounds. The "bad" side effects seen with DES is not really an issue with the low dosage we use to control incontentence.

Sounds like a game plan. To be honest I would never use proin with one of my hounds. The "bad" side effects seen with DES is not really an issue with the low dosage we use to control incontentence.

My girl had a stroke while taking Proin.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

My girl had a stroke while taking Proin.

Sorry to hear that--was always a fear of mine. One of my girls almost died after her first and only dose. She did very well on DES for years. Too my vets place these girls on proin without checking for proteinuria nor blood pressures.

Guest peacehound

a stroke is so scary, sorry to see this. I am always afraid to give my girl meds, she takes Adequan injections that help her get around and Tramadol for pain. As long as she is on her meds, she eats with gusto, roaches constantly and enjoys several mini walks a day. I always hope I will be able to help her pass to the bridge when it is time and not be blinded by love for her but so far she seems to really enjoy retirement.

felix was on des, it was a short period of time. i don't remember the exact sequencing of dosage. but it worked for nearly a year. then he was put on proin. he weighs 76#- first week 1/2 50mg tab 2xs a day

2nd week 1/2 50 mg tab daily

3rd week 1/2 50 mg tab every other day. that's what he's been on, tight as a drum. i must admit that when i was camping i sometimes stretched it to every 3 days since i really wasn't keeping track of time.

i am surprised to see how high many dosages are.

btw, my cool whip containers are always washed in the dishwasher-----let's see if your vet asks you if you want the container back, as mine always does!

We have two seniors on Proin. They've been on it for years. Darcy is about 62# and Bonny is 75#. Each get 50mg daily. Both started off on 25mg. No problems. To the OP, I agree with checking for a UTI first.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

With DES you have to check platelets!

Actually you need to check reds and white cells too--the one side effect that everyone fears is bone marrow suppression. Again, at the low doses used to control spay incontinence it's not a huge factor. One should of course be careful and monitor bloods. Edited by tbhounds

Guest peacehound

thanks all for your input and suggestions. Peace gets her bloodwork done every six months, will she have to be monitored even closer?

If you are bringing in a urine to check for UTI, I suggest that you pick up a sterile one from the vet and use that. Otherwise, the container that you use will be contaminated.

Make sure that they send it off to be cultured even if they are not seeing anything under the microscope.

Lucy was on DES for a few months until we finally got the UTI under control.

We use butter containers that have been through the dishwasher, sometimes on the antibiotic anti-bacterial cycle, sometimes not. My vet was impressed that one sample we brought in such a container grew NOTHING when cultured. The vets said the ones at their office are not sterile...just very clean, like my washed butter containers.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).