Never Give Up On A Greyhound, A Success Story :)

Guest DeniseL

What a lovely report. Good job!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thank you for not giving up on your boy. It isn't always a bad thing to return a hound that isn't working in your family but when you can try and work thru the issues and have success it is just so much sweeter. What a handsome hound. Christmas blessings to you!

It is heartwarming to hear of your success. I've worked with a couple shy pups and have one now. Patience, patience, patience. And when you run out of patience use more patience. It is so worth the reward. Success is it's own reward. Congratulations!

".....sometimes.....it just takes time, patience, the help of experienced people, and good lovin'"

This should be put up in neon lights for all adoptees to see....well done to you!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• 1 month later...

Our John E was a work in progress for the entire 8 years he was with us. I would never take back a day of it; it was all worth while. I loved that boy very much. He was just so insecure.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Such a nice "story"..and much needed today, as my new girl is adjusting to us! made me think of my boy Garry...who was returned due to his nervousness. the foster parents told me he preferred to stay in their closet..we took him for our girl..took us ages and ages to turn him into a "real dog"! with a lot of hard work. i remember the day he walked into the den with us sitting there..he would NEVER do that!

Thank you for the uplifting update!

Guest rarmstrong

Having had a grey that was a bad match, I know how heartbreaking it is to even have to consider that option. Kudos to you for having the patience and persistence to wait it out with Miami. It's not an easy thing to do

Guest BiggiesOwner

I love hearing this story!! Three months in with lots of "road bumps" along the way - it is so wonderful and helpful to hear a success story!! Congratulations!

Guest DeniseL

Miami has been living with us for 1 1/2 years now, and it has taken every bit of that to settle in...it's a lot of ups and downs, but lately mostly ups!

he has been sleeping in the middle room at night for the last few weeks. I would much rather have him in our room, but we have limited space and his sleep startle/aggression was rearing is ugly head again. He was waking up in the morning stressed, so we moved him into his own room at night. He goes in with a kiss and treat and goes right to bed. Wakes up refreshed and happy and we dont put our lives on the line every time we need a bathroom trip lol

For us, it's all about working with him, and not setting him up to fail. He has turned into a real cuddle bug, climbing up on the sofa to lay with me and he loves to give big kisses!!! He is definitely MY hound, he likes my DH, but we have a real connection.

Guest Lillypad

Well done. I hope your story reaches those in need of inspiration. Yes patience is a golden virtue and you and your hound have been justly rewarded. Congratulations I imagine it could not have been easy and I am so happy that things worked out. Best wishes for continued happiness. He is a very handsome boy.

Miami has been living with us for 1 1/2 years now, and it has taken every bit of that to settle in...it's a lot of ups and downs, but lately mostly ups!

he has been sleeping in the middle room at night for the last few weeks. I would much rather have him in our room, but we have limited space and his sleep startle/aggression was rearing is ugly head again. He was waking up in the morning stressed, so we moved him into his own room at night. He goes in with a kiss and treat and goes right to bed. Wakes up refreshed and happy and we dont put our lives on the line every time we need a bathroom trip lol

For us, it's all about working with him, and not setting him up to fail. He has turned into a real cuddle bug, climbing up on the sofa to lay with me and he loves to give big kisses!!! He is definitely MY hound, he likes my DH, but we have a real connection.

:yay

I know so many people that apply to adopt Greys who want a dog with very few issues, and I was the same way. We got a dog 2 years ago that had (still has, haha) some pretty extreme issues. While working through those issues, they take a lot of work. But IMO, it pays off tenfold when the dog gives you behaviours that you never would have expected before.

No feeling in the world like getting a cuddle from a dog who is hand shy, or space aggressive. I find it so much more rewarding than a dog who comes 'perfect'.

Yay to Miami!

Edited by brianamac

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir