"a Touch Of Glaucoma" ?

Guest lynne893

fsugrad - We have a greyhound with Glaucoma. The eyeball was enlarged with build up pressure. Those might not be the correct terms.

I did a lot of research to check this process out before letting the Dr do it. The Dr injected the eyeball to kill off the cells that produced the intraocular fluid. They eye looks different and she has no vision in that eye. The pressure is down and we are on hold. The next option is to remove the eyeball itself.

Hugs to Toby

This is what Jack had done for his glaucoma, it is called a ciliary body ablation. He had it done as a puppy, he is now two and having no further problems. Opthalmologist said they have had very good success with this procedure. I was considering having his eye removed but, am happy this procedure was available and worked so well and was less invasive. Good luck with your dog, hope the CBA works for her as well as it did for Jack!

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Back from recheck. Good news! Toby's eye pressure is down from 49 on Tues to 15 after emergency drops on Tues, to now 7 after being on drops for 2 days. They were very pleased with his progress. We'll folluow up again in three weeks. In meantime I guess I will be the eye drop queen. :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hey, Eye Drop Queen is easier to be than Giant-Pills-That-Dog-Won't-Take Queen, right? ;)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hey, Eye Drop Queen is easier to be than Giant-Pills-That-Dog-Won't-Take Queen, right? ;)

Yes, I think you're right, LOL. :)

I have to get better at my eye drop administering technique though. Need to work on my accuracy as these meds are expensive and I don't want to waste a drop. Also, it doesn't help that Toby tries as hard as he can to squeeze his eyelids shut just when I'm trying to drop the meds in there.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I stand facing the dog, get them to lift their head. Use right hand to hold drops. Use left hand to hold eye open - Place thumb under dog's chin, index finger on top of the nose. Use middle finger to lift top eyelid, then administer drops. Rotate same hand to the right to get the drops into his left eye.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Your the eye drop queen now. When you have to start giving two different kinds of drops, twice a day, to a cat you can then earn the title "Eye Drop Goddess". :D

Are you giving Toby an extra special treat afterwards? That could certainly help his attitude towards the whole endeavor. Actually, you might even try having someone holding out a treat within viewing distance, but not so close that he'd make a grab for it. This may distract him & cause him to keep his eyes open at least a little longer as he tries to keep his eyes on the treats. That would work with some dogs but not with others. Still may be worth a shot.

Good luck. With practice I am sure you will develop a good technique.

I stand facing the dog, get them to lift their head. Use right hand to hold drops. Use left hand to hold eye open - Place thumb under dog's chin, index finger on top of the nose. Use middle finger to lift top eyelid, then administer drops. Rotate same hand to the right to get the drops into his left eye.

I stand (or sit with her in my lap since my dog is an IG) and reach up from under her head to use my thumb and forefinger to pinch a small gap/pocket in the lower eyelid and put the drop in the gap.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueberri

I'm with JJNg on this one for actual relevant info.

I've worked in ophthalmology, and can attest that acute angle closure glaucoma is so fast it can often cause visible signs of irritation, and is painful. It's also extremely treatable in humans, when caught in time, so one would hope the anatomy and treatment options are similar for our furkids. When not caught it can cause dramatic loss of vision in a matter of 24-48 hours.

Chronic glaucoma is not able to be seen visibly, unless you mean someone looking using a slit lamp or magnifying lens after having used dilating eye drops, because they need to see the back of the eyeball, not the front where we can see normally (again, human vs dog may apply). Glaucoma is a chronic process that very slowly steals vision, in humans from the outside inwards, so peripheral vision is lost, and takes years before it concludes its evil plan.

What usually gets seen is catacts, which is a cloudiness in the lens of the eye and can cause some reduction in vision. An animal that has had a trauma to the eye is more likely to have a type of cataract that forms relatively quickly (compared with the age related kind) and tends to be more intense, and cause more loss of vision.

All that useless information aside, I'm glad these pups are being seen to and things are improving :reindeer