Jack Can Open Doors-- Help

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack is a good boy for the most part, but has always been obsessed with food (due to being deprived of food before he was rescued). This hasn't been a problem, since there's a strict 'no begging' policy in the house (I ask friends to ignore his begging at their houses as well), and the kitchen is off limits. At my previous flat, I closed the kitchen door, and my fiancee and I have continued to simply close the kitchen door when we leave Jack alone in the house. This worked perfectly....UNTIL TODAY.

He has now figured out to turn the handle and open the door. It's a lever door handle, essentially like this one:

CB-DL182CP-2.jpg

And Jack has figured out how to open said door and let himself into the kitchen (he helped himself to several slices of bread, some leftover pizza, and part of a jar of peanut butter).

Anyone else's hound able to open doors? If so, how do you deal with this?

Or I think there are baby-proofing products you can put over the handle to stop him from being able to turn it.

Smart Jack! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Or just change the handle to a turn knob. Pretty hard to turn a round ball without opposable thumbs (still potentially possible in which case add a lock or latch if he figures it out).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

:lol I think they have child proof things that can go over that handle. We have some doors in our house with those same handle and they are so old you don't even need to turn the handle. Lexie just pushes her nose and the door opens...:lol.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

haha yes we have that kind of handle on the front security door and the dogs do know how to open it :P they figure things out if they are motivated enough

Guest Jacks_Human

Thanks for the recommendations! And glad to know others have similarly talented greyhounds (one of my friends was floating the idea that Jack is an intelligent alien in a greyhound suit).

Mrs. Jacks_Human is installing a childproof lock today.

Put a bolt on the door for when you are out....if he tries it when you are home a strong reprimand might help get the message through.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT