Ate A Turkey Bone

Guest KTPrime

Guest KTPrime

So I'm a wreck. Optimus got into the garbage and got a turkey leg. Came home to find a few pieces of it left on the carpet. Just got off the phone with the emergency vet. She said to feed him pumpkin mixed with his food and monitor him. He had a huge amount of watery diarrhea when I took him out, no blood in it though. He's not showing any signs of abdominal pain and was playful like normal. I'm just praying he'll be okay. I'll be watching him like a hawk for the next couple of days. If anything bad happens to him I will never forgive myself.

Check around the house to see if he puked anywhere. Give him some bread too.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greyhoundlover2

If you gave him too much pumpkin that could cause the diarrhea. I used to use it for one of my girls and any more than a tablespoon was not good. I have learned over the years that greys, all dogs actually, have much stronger digestive systems than ours so as long as there are no sharp pieces of bone he will probably be ok. Just watch for blood in his stool. And don't beat yourself up, it happens to everyone. And dogs will be dogs, that's why my trash can now goes up on the counter when we leave the house!

He will most likely be fine. My old dog once ate an entire chicken carcass out of the garbage. The farmdogs at my grandparents house were always fed cooked bones (ya, bad, but that was the way things were in the "old days"). None of the dogs ever had a problem. I'm not saying there aren't risks, because dogs do have problems, but in the majority of cases, it will pass right through. If there was a serious problem, you would most likely be noticing signs of discomfort already. Just keep a close eye on things. :)

Our Opie about 4 years ago, ate a turkey carcass on Thanksgiving. He had never been a garbage hound at all, so we didn't even think about it. We gave him lots of bread. He had diarrhea for about 3 days, but otherwise was fine.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest KTPrime

So just got back from the vet. He had some pain when they were probing his stomach so they took him for x-rays. Vet couldn't get the x-rays she needed because Optimus is stressed and they couldn't get him on his side so they need to sedate him slightly. They sent me home to wait. She said even if he does need the surgery he will be okay. But it's so hard waiting here to find out what happens next. I just want him home and healthy. The most ridiculous part is, I'm vegan, so we almost never have meat or bones in the house. My boyfriend's sister sent him some leftovers... so literally I think the only time there has ever been a meat bone in our house, I forget to put the garbage pail up and he gets it.

Murphy's law, right?

Like you said, he'll ultimately be fine.

Murphy's Law is surely at work. When ever we have scraps like that (rotisserie chicken, BBQ rib bones, etc) it goes directly into the big garbage can in the garage. We keep out locked trash in a cabinet with a regular turn door know. I still don't trust my dogs. :P

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KTPrime

So I'm down about 1k in vet bills... but Optimus is good! The vet said he chewed up the bones very well so there was nothing too big to cause any concern. They were more concerned about twisting in his intestine caused by all the gas. I was actually only in a little over 400, but then the night after being cleared by the vet, he started yelping for no reason just laying on the couch. My first thought was OMG HIS INTESTINES ARE TWISTING AND HE'S GOING TO DIE. So we rush off to the e-vet only to be cleared again, they said it could just be discomfort because of gas. First time I paid $500 to diagnosis a tummy ache!

So that was last week (or is it two now? Such a blur!) He's all back to normal, currently roaching on the love seat as he is wont to do! This is why I always stress to anyone looking to adopt that they'll need extra reserve funds for emergencies! At the end of the day, it's just money and I'd pay anything to make sure my boy is healthy. And lesson learned about leftovers! I have officially banned bones from the house and purchased an aluminum garbage can that only opens if you step on it. No more garbage hunting for Optimus! :)

Glad to hear Optimus is ok and very sorry to hear about the large vet bills (especially at this time of year). Your official bone ban sounds like a good idea to me. :)

So I'm down about 1k in vet bills... but Optimus is good! The vet said he chewed up the bones very well so there was nothing too big to cause any concern. They were more concerned about twisting in his intestine caused by all the gas. I was actually only in a little over 400, but then the night after being cleared by the vet, he started yelping for no reason just laying on the couch. My first thought was OMG HIS INTESTINES ARE TWISTING AND HE'S GOING TO DIE. So we rush off to the e-vet only to be cleared again, they said it could just be discomfort because of gas. First time I paid $500 to diagnosis a tummy ache!

So that was last week (or is it two now? Such a blur!) He's all back to normal, currently roaching on the love seat as he is wont to do! This is why I always stress to anyone looking to adopt that they'll need extra reserve funds for emergencies! At the end of the day, it's just money and I'd pay anything to make sure my boy is healthy. And lesson learned about leftovers! I have officially banned bones from the house and purchased an aluminum garbage can that only opens if you step on it. No more garbage hunting for Optimus! :)

Been there done that! Went flying to the vets thinking my dog was dying and it was nothing (but expensive)