Diarrhea Spreading From Dog To Dog

Sorcha

Fintan the borzoi started with diarrhea last Thursday morning. Do you have any idea how disgusting it is to wash diarrhea off fur a furry borzoi butt?! Yuck. Then Harkan the Italian greyhound started having diarrhea Thursday evening. I withheld food from both for a day and a half, then fed them white rice and baked chicken breast. Fintan's diarrhea finally stopped yesterday, and Harkan's stopped today. This morning, Nola the borzoi-saluki started having diarrhea so I guess that means the foster puppy (saluki) will be next. This is the first time I have had one dog after the next come down with diarrhea. In the past it's just been an isolated case with one dog. How would this have happened? Only thing I can think of is the shared water bowl but it's changed daily.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Eek. I have no idea, could be anything from the flu to parvo. Are there any incidents of that caronavirus in your area? Could it be distemper?

Any other symptoms? Lethargy? Loss of appetite?

ETA: I am probably over-reacting. I know we have "blow outs" in the kennel some times (meaning a lot of dogs get the D at the same time) but it's usually due to food or some common denominator. If you're pups are feeling better within days it is probably something simple

Edited by Clawsandpaws

sounds like gastro - with humans you have to be super dilligent, cleaning hands, door handles, all kitchen stuff, bedding

how that translates to dogs.... anything they would lick.... hopefully once they have all had it then they will be resistant to it :/

Got any outdoor birdbaths they could get into? That's how mine had group diarrhea.

If it doesn't seem to slow down, Cerenia may help. The injection is painful. Not sure if it comes in a pill.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for the input. No outdoor birdbath, or bird feeder for that matter. Nothing inside, or outside, they could have gotten into. No other symptoms, just the worse diarrhea ever. Maybe I need to remove all dog toys and wash them, too? Eesh, that's got to be nearly 100 stuffies (toy baskets in 3 different rooms).

I would Panacur them all. Worked for me. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This happened to me when I was dogsitting my brother's dog. He had it first and then my girl got it the next day. I think it was rawhide treats that they both got.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

sounds like an old fashioned stomach bug that one picked up and passed on. i've been thru this in the past. rice and more rice and more rice. last winter my friend's house where i board the dogs a stomach bug- attacked a total of 14 dogs- greys and great danes. they were dropping like flies! but it was the runs and well as vomiting. what a disaster, but they all survived, lost weight and my friend put them on flagyl. she still can't figure out where it came from, someone could have tracked it in on their shoes.

rice and bleach will be your best friend. machine wash the stuffies, a tad of bleach will kill anything, keep sane if at all possible.

Got any outdoor birdbaths they could get into? That's how mine had group diarrhea.

If it doesn't seem to slow down, Cerenia may help. The injection is painful. Not sure if it comes in a pill.

Cerenia does come in tablets (60 mg.) but are indicated for prevention of acute vomiting according to the instructions on the box. No sure about usage for diarrhea.

Fintan the borzoi started with diarrhea last Thursday morning. Do you have any idea how disgusting it is to wash diarrhea off fur a furry borzoi butt?! Yuck. Then Harkan the Italian greyhound started having diarrhea Thursday evening. I withheld food from both for a day and a half, then fed them white rice and baked chicken breast. Fintan's diarrhea finally stopped yesterday, and Harkan's stopped today. This morning, Nola the borzoi-saluki started having diarrhea so I guess that means the foster puppy (saluki) will be next. This is the first time I have had one dog after the next come down with diarrhea. In the past it's just been an isolated case with one dog. How would this have happened? Only thing I can think of is the shared water bowl but it's changed daily.

Thank you, Lord, for bald greyhound butts...!

Your idiot neighbor hasnt been throwing more food over the fence trying to fatten Binky up, has he?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Well, now the foster pup has it. Therefore, it's definitely something contagious between the dogs.

Your idiot neighbor hasnt been throwing more food over the fence trying to fatten Binky up, has he?

No! I put up 6 and 1/2 foot reed fencing over the chain link so that won't happen anymore.