Carrots?

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

Both of our dogs get a fairly healthy dose of fresh veggies during the week. Whatever we're chopping up, they usually get a piece: lettuce, beans, carrots, apples, brussels sprouts, etc. I recently read something in the newspaper about feeding your dogs veggies, but it said about carrots "cooked, of course". Cooked? Never heard this before. I know about onions / grapes, etc. being bad for dogs, but Is there anything wrong with feeding the dog raw carrots?

We ocassionally use large raw carrots for chew treats in the place of bones or rawhides. A dog's digestive system doesn't really process raw carrot well (sort of like undercooked rice), but it doesn't hurt them. Just passes right through.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

You can feed them raw. The article is probably saying cooked if you are feeding them for the nutritional value. Unlike us, dogs can't break down raw plant material on their own, it needs to be cooked, or pureed. For a crunchy treat though, it isn't a big deal.

Guest goofydog

Get Em has been receiving raw baby carrots for years as an after dinner 'treat'. His dinner hasn't yet had time for him to feel full and these fill the bill, so to speak.

My Bridge boy Kiaba had allergies, so he couldn't have bully sticks. When the others got bully sticks, he got a big ole carrot. He loved them!

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I agree with all the others. Raw veggies of all kinds are fine, but have no nutritional value. I rely on greyhound-vacuum service to clean up my veggie chopping fly-away's!

I've had dogs that loved em, and dogs that won't touch them. Diana will eat almost anything except a raw carrot.

Raw and frozen in the summer here as a cool treat on a hot day.

:flip

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Archived