Air In Urine Flow? "fart" Noises During Peeing?

o_rooly

Over the past two days, I've noticed an "air in the hose" noise while Aston is peeing (sounds just like air bubbles coming out of a coiled garden hose, only quieter) -- normally, I would only hear the sound of urine hitting the grass or whatever it's landing on. Today on our morning walk, it sounded more like fart noises, pretty loud, and only during the stream. No sounds or other indicators of pain from Aston (he keeps peeing through the noise, and output volume/frequency is normal -- doesn't seem like he's trying to avoid peeing). I did check his sheath, and as far as I can see, no crusted discharge that might partially block output, and no redness/inflammation.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

No ideas....just good thoughts.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

The only experience I have had with bladder emphysema was with an uncontrolled diabetic cat.

Ah! I knew there was a medical term for it that I couldn't think of...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/438043

Still waiting on culture/blood results from samples taken Friday night. I sent a text to the vet as a heads-up, she replied saying that it's odd, and that she'll let me know as soon as results are back.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not trying to make light of a medical situation. I truly hope Aston is well and it is nothing serious but some air rather than diabetes.

I say this because it appears right now your dog has a legitimate reason for this noise. Mine does not. She just is gassy and flatulent.

Unlike (most) humans she seems unperturbed by this and shows no embarrassment at the occasional "putt-putt-putting" sounds or the ability to clear a room with the S.B.D.'s (silent but deadly's). Since nothing is wrong with her health or diet we embrace a can of Lysol and accept it as part of her Greyhound charm.

Hopefully that will be all that is "wrong" with Aston too! :)

The pee-stream-air-bubbles resolved about a week or so after my last post. No bacteria came up in the urine culture. Urine okay, blood results normal. Aside from the air bubbles, he was peeing in the house almost daily for a few weeks, but it has spontaneously resolved as of this past Monday. :dunno
The fart noises were definitely coming from his urethra, not butt :) Only heard them while there was a pee stream, plus the pee stream was erratic.

Aston DOES have the greyhound-fart ability, too, especially if he eats a lot of chicken.

Yeah Aston! So glad he's well and it isn't diabetes. Now if he would just stop watering the rug :} Did the vet ever explain what the mystery was? One mystery solved: As long as you keep Aston away from KFC and El Pollo Loco there won't be any problems with farts! :beatheart:ghplaybow (like the little picture joke?)

You and Aston keep well