I Feel Like A Jerk...

Guest DunksMom

Guest DunksMom

Well, Dunk went in for a dental and a possible extraction yesterday. I felt like such a jerk leaving him there :(. He looked at me as I was leaving as if to say "Hey! What the? Where are you going?" It turns out he had to have 6 teeth out! When I picked him up I felt I had betrayed him! He already hates the vet, now I think we may have to change vet offices as I don't think I'll ever get him back in there...

Anyhow, he was a drooly, bloody zombie dog last night and I spent the night with him on the floor downstairs but he's doing fine this morning. His appetite never faltered and he ate dinner last night and breakfast this morning (plus cheese wrapped pills). Planning on spending the day snuggling and watching movies. Love this guy so much!

Dunk will forgive you and in the end, you are only doing what's best for him. Those big brown eyes will do you in though, you just need to look away fast when leaving them at the vet. I hope he heals up quickly as our angel Shelby had 17 teeth our when we adopted her (they were horrible and neglected) and then a second dental of which she lost 7 more.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Poor Dunk & his mom. :( You did the right thing, though, even if it wasn't easy. YAY, for Dunk having a clean, healthy mouth now. He'll feel so much better.

Have only had one dog who needed an extraction during a dental. He did not have swollen glands afterwards. The extraction was caused by an epulis, not infection or bad tooth, so this may not count.

Guest DunksMom

Reading about the multiple extractions on GT makes me feel like 6 is no big deal! But this was the first time we had to have Dunk put under for anything so it was scary for us! I spent all day at work waiting for the phone to ring. Glad to have him home! The teeth I can see do look shiny and white though! And the breath is not so horrible :)

Guest Plygreygirl

The first time is always the hardest! No I take that back every time you have to put them under is stressful! I do recommend you start brushing I do my two every day except Sunday! It really does make a differance. I have one hound that has only had to have one dental in 6 years! My other girl however came to me in kinda of bad shape but after just 3 yrs of daily brushing she has only lost 4 teeth!! Ansd if you saw her teeth you would say how the heck are they still solid in there. So yes brush!!! In the long run it will save you much stress!!

As often as you can, drive Dunk by the vet's and let the staff give him a treat (you can take the treats with you). Someone might have to come out to the car the first time or two. No exam rooms or doctor visits for anything, just a treat at the door, later a treat in the waiting room, a treat when he gets on the scale, and eventually a treat in the exam rooms. The sooner you can replace the Mom-left-me-here memory with These-guys-give-treats, the better.

I've been fortunate to have greyhounds who would forgive anything if treats were involved--and just about every person on the staff at my vet's office offers a small treat at each encounter. (The billing clerk needs to start offering me treats when I'm paying the bill.) My dogs have gone into an exam room and headed straight for the counter, to surf for treats there.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest DunksMom

I wish the staff were more treaty! Dunk remembers everyplace he's ever got a cookie!

Update - I called the vet about the swollen glands and they said to come on in... So I put my panting drooling boy in the car and coaxed him into the office. The doc took some fluid from the glands and looked at it under the microscope and said there were one or two cells she wasn't sure about so she's sending it off to the lab :( fingers crossed its nothing serious.

-worried Dunky mom😢

Oh! And picked up some vanilla ice cream in the way home! Poor Dunk!

Was Dunk on antibiotics before the dental? After? With a mouth like his, the glands were probably already a little swollen, but with the extractions, they are probably in full damage control mode. Clindamycin is a common antibiotic prescribed. Hope he heals without further incident.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest DunksMom

He had a swollen face and glands a few weeks ago, which is what prompted the dental an extractions. Also the vet mentioned that they were a little swollen before the dental, so I'm hoping that its connected to all the nastiness they scraped off his teeth and perhaps some nasties that were set free by the extractions. I had a different vet today so I'm hoping she's just being super cautious. 😕

He was on a seven day course of Clavamox and them went a week with none. And they didn't give him any after the dental, which I thought was weird.

Thanks O_rooly! My husband said if reincarnation works, he wants to come back as a dog owned by me!

He had a swollen face and glands a few weeks ago, which is what prompted the dental an extractions. Also the vet mentioned that they were a little swollen before the dental, so I'm hoping that its connected to all the nastiness they scraped off his teeth and perhaps some nasties that were set free by the extractions. I had a different vet today so I'm hoping she's just being super cautious.

He was on a seven day course of Clavamox and them went a week with none. And they didn't give him any after the dental, which I thought was weird.

Thanks O_rooly! My husband said if reincarnation works, he wants to come back as a dog owned by me!

Not being sent home w/some prophylactic antibiotics sounds odd to me, too (for a dog, or a human who's had extractions). Of course, I'm not a vet.. but, after Aston's corn was removed, leaving a deep hole in his toe pad in which his tendon was visible, the vet didn't send us home with any abx, either. I thought it was odd, but didn't ask. I wish I had. The hole closed up, sealing staph and pseudomonas inside despite my wound-care efforts. :( HOWEVER -- based on the culture/sensitivity test that revealed these, we would have had to put Aston on prophylactic Zeniquin to keep pseudomonas at bay... and I doubt any vet would make that the go-to "just in case" antibiotics after a procedure. $$$$.

Perhaps the clavamox stays in the system for awhile. When I was on heavy amoxicillin a few months ago for an unspecified upper-respiratory infection, my glands were still swollen weeks later, and my doctor shrugged it off and said the amox was "still in my system, so." :dunno

:blah :blah :blah

I asked about antibiotics when I brought him back in and the vet said not until they determine what the swelling was from. Hmmmm...

That's a new one on me--the antibiotics can be changed to a more appropriate one if need be. If they are concerned about cancer I'm not sure how antibiotics will effect that.

I too am surprised that Dunk wasn't sent home with antibiotics. Hope he's ok and feeling better today.

Angels Zeke-aroni lost 11 teeth and LadyBug lost nine during their dentals (they came to me at age 9 and hadn't had dentals since those they'd had at age two). Dentals are important. The ice cream is good :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Diamond had 23 at once and Onyx had double digit numbers (can't remember exactly). Neither had swollen glands. He should be on antibiotics? There are a lot of bacteria in the mouth.

In fact in some cases, cardiac for example they have dogs and humans alike go on antibiotics before the procedure.

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest DunksMom

Update, clean results from the gland test but still no antibiotics? Doc says she expects the swelling to go down without them. Which they have, btw. Dunk is getting back to hisself and helping out in the kitchen tonight ;)