Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
quarrystepper

Brooks 1, Raisin Bran 0

Recommended Posts

It took an epic counter-surf to get it down from an upper shelf, but Brooks pulled down a BRAND NEW, unopened box of Raisin Bran (23.5 oz) and scarfed the whole thing while I was out for dinner. Based on the evidence at hand, this was more than two hours ago. Per the conventional wisdom, it's too late to induce with hydrogen peroxide.

 

But ... Google search says there's about 150 grams (~ 1 cup) of raisins in a 16 oz. box of Raisin Bran, so I'm going with 210 grams of raisins in this particular box.

 

Wiki says toxicity is about 19g of raisins per kg. Brooks is roughly 78 lbs (35.3 kg). So in his case, toxicity shouldn't occur until about 660 grams of raisins. So he's about 1/3rd of the way to toxicity.

 

Is my math right? Any cause for concern here? Am I losing precious minutes that should be spent on my way to the e-vet? I also figure he also got about 200g of sugar with this conquest, which can't be good. Not sure what effects to expect there.

 

For some added context, this pup has an iron stomach. He's lucked into (nontoxic amounts of) cocoa powder and full bags of coffee beans in the past with no major issues. He's already had some runny stool since I got home, which I'm guessing is the bran, not the raisins. But he's been busily chewing threw a new stuffie and pestering his sister to play since I got home, so he seems okay?


12614564994_b1fbe2a1a0.jpg
Drew and Melody, with Kali (Swish) in Louisville. Missing heart dog Brooks (KC Bastone), rehomed but not forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. That's a lot of bran. :chow I'm willing to bet he'll be pretty constipated, but it doesn't sound too threatening IMO, although of course worrisome. I'm surprised he has runny stool after all that to be honest.

 

That boy will have a pretty full stomach, do you keep any Gas-X on hand to relieve any gas he might have? I'm not sure how much he should drink as well - would that expand the cereal in his stomach? Usually when consuming bran it's recommended to drink fluids for the stuff to properly pass through ones system and not get stuck. I'd say for sure, if he asks to go in the middle of the night to get up to take him.

 

I guess the theory of "2 scoops of raisins" isn't really true?

 

Hopefully others will chime in for you. What a little stinker!


Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best course of action to take after grape/raisin ingestion isn't very clear cut because no toxic agent has been identified, and toxicity is unpredictable. Some dogs have eaten large amounts of grapes/raisins with no problems. Others have developed kidney failure with smaller amounts. If you wanted to take every precaution possible, you could have him hospitalized on IV fluids for 2-3 days, and monitor bloodwork. A more conservative approach with a dog who is showing no symptoms is to just check bloodwork 2-3 days later. If normal at 3 days, then he's unlikely to have a problem. If any vomiting or lethargy is noted, he definitely needs to be seen by a vet and have bloodwork done.


Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every dog my family has ever owned, except George, has been fed, by my Dad, before they decided raisins and grapes are "toxic," copious amounts of raisins and grapes. Never, ever had a single problem.

 

Your mileage may vary, but despite all the dire warnings, I've never actual meant anyone whose dog got sick from grapes or raisins.



Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good. Seemingly no major physical effects and not lethargic any more than normal. I should clarify that his stool last night was kind of "ploppy" rather than runny. This morning it was more solid but not its normal quantity -- so I guess he is a bit constipated. I'll pick up some Gas-X later today. And I have to board both hounds at the vet for about 4 hours tomorrow while our home gets inspected by a potential buyer, so I'll have them do a blood panel on Brooks while he's in their hands.

 

I guess the theory of "2 scoops of raisins" isn't really true?

 

I found a website that was debunking the "two scoops of raisins" as a myth! That's how I was able to estimate the amount in a big box of RB. Looool.


12614564994_b1fbe2a1a0.jpg
Drew and Melody, with Kali (Swish) in Louisville. Missing heart dog Brooks (KC Bastone), rehomed but not forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend's dog died of kidney failure from eating grapes, even with immediate supportive care, hospitalization and eventually dialysis. She was healthy and active until she got into them. It is absolutely a real threat and shouldn't be taken lightly or thought of as an urban myth.


Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...