Paw Wax To Protect Pads From Snow, Ice, And Salt, Maybe Even Slipping?

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Hi all. I was just wondering whether any of you have any experience using paw wax on your greys pads. Brady's trainer recommended it for walking in the winter to protect their pads from salt damage. Considering dogs sweat through their pads, though, I was just wondering whether it's safe. Of course, I can't imagine there would be much sweating in winter.

Also, I'm thinking another benefit would be preventing slipping on our hardwood, linolium and tile floors.

Anyone have experience with this type of product.

Thanks!

Edited by AngelPup

Try Musher's Secret. It seems to work well for this purpose. Though to be honest I switched to PAWZ dog boots as it seems to protect better but only used it outside as it doesn't seem appropriate to leave on for extended periods of time. The paw wax does work indoors but needs a lot of reapplication. So both help but neither is a solution in itself.

Musher's will help protect the paws, but doubtful it will help with your floors. More likely to make it worse. The stuff is slippery. We apply it to one of the dogs that comes to the daycamp and if you apply too much the tile is slippery after from it rubbing off.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have used Musher's Secret successfully to soften Sweep's pads, which does help some with traction on slippery floors and is actually one of the uses listed on the jar ("keeps paw pads supple and helps prevent old calloused paws from slipping on smooth surfaces when applied regularly"). But you definitely have to time it right for the reasons stated above. Best to apply it just before bedtime or before giving a frozen kong or other long-lasting treat (or you can try nonskid toddler socks over the paws while it absorbs).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Hmmm... I think my dog's biggest problem was dry, hard pads. The Musher's Secret helped soften the pads, making them more supple. That helped improve her traction. Possibly we didn't have the slippery problem because we have so much carpet?

ETA: If your dog will tolerate an aerosol then you might consider Bio-Groom Show Foot. It's specifically designed to improve traction. http://www.biogroom.com/dog/finishers/show-foot/

Edited by kudzu

It can stain your carpet, too. I use it when we have to do a therapy dog visit to an unknown location (where I don't know what the floors are like). But I don't use it at home, I'd rather not because of the staining/slippery/sticky. I don't want residue on my floors or furniture. If you are going somewhere special and you know the floor is a killer, there's an aerosol spray you can get, "Show Foot", that they use in the dog show ring to improve grip. That I wouldn't use at home for sure but it's fabulous for spending an hour in a convention center or something.

ETA: Missed the snow/ice/salt portion of your original post. I will occasionally wax her feet for smooth ice conditions. I never use wax or boots for snow, she's happy in the snow. I will use boots for jagged, sharp ice conditions. I don't have to deal with salt, luckily.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Whether you use anything for snow and ice, you're going to need to wash and clean your dog's feet thoroughly when you come back inside. Some of the chemicals used with the salt to help thaw ice are not good for dogs to lick, and you'll need to get that off Brady's feet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest AngelPup

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Definitely going to think about this one a bit more. Brady has been slipping a LOT lately on my kitchen floor--even after clipping his nails this past weekend (I typically keep them short). I'm thinking that all the walking we're doing on pavement might be toughening them up a bit too much. I had planned on having a warm pail of water ready to rinse his paws when we returned once the town starts throwing salt/sand down on the roads, but that doesn't help with him slipping in the house. Not sure he'll keep non-skid socks on, but I like the idea of applying wax to his feet before bedtime...

You can even try an ordinary skin moisturizer on his feet at bedtime to soften the pads. Smooth, slick pads have a harder time gaining traction on hard floors. If you put skin cream on to soften the pads, that might give better traction--as well as providing you a chance to keep an eye on his pads for trouble caused by ice/snow/salt.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest AngelPup

I spoke with Brady's trainer yesterday and she recommended a product that she uses. It helps soften the pads, protects against salt, and minimizes slippage. Plus she said it doesn't stain or leave marks. Applied it last night at bedtime. Haven't noticed a difference in slippage, but Brady isn't giving it much of a chance as he tries to get a grip by extending his NAILS and we all know how much THAT helps. Time will tell.

I spoke with Brady's trainer yesterday and she recommended a product that she uses. It helps soften the pads, protects against salt, and minimizes slippage. Plus she said it doesn't stain or leave marks. Applied it last night at bedtime. Haven't noticed a difference in slippage, but Brady isn't giving it much of a chance as he tries to get a grip by extending his NAILS and we all know how much THAT helps. Time will tell.

What product is that?

Guest AngelPup

What product is that?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16657906&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I've noticed that he doesn't slip as much and his pads look great. I apply it at bedtime so it gets absorbed overnight, so no mess. So far, so good. But after I purchased this, I found a recipe for making my own all-natural paw pad wax, so I might do that after I use this up--although that will probably take a while.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2013/09/how-to-make-your-own-all-natural-protective-paw-wax-for-dogs-cats/

I use Musher's Secret on occasion but another vote for Pawz for outdoor walking. Much more effective and their feet stay clean and dry underneath.

I just checked out Pawz--they look like deflated balloons! Brilliant. I'm thinking I'd rather put something on his feet in snowy weather than wash them every time take him for a walk.

Blue is the size for greyhounds. I have seen lots of breed size charts. Purple is good if you are using them to keep a bandaged foot dry outdoors, another fabulous year round use.

Pawz do rip pretty readily from greyhound nails and don't hold up well at all for running, fyi. But they still work with small rips and I can generally get through the winter with one packet.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest AngelPup

Blue is the size for greyhounds. I have seen lots of breed size charts. Purple is good if you are using them to keep a bandaged foot dry outdoors, another fabulous year round use.

Pawz do rip pretty readily from greyhound nails and don't hold up well at all for running, fyi. But they still work with small rips and I can generally get through the winter with one packet.

That's good to know--thanks!