Please Think Good Thoughts For Fintan

Sorcha

For the first time in months, I am away from home tonight. Two hours ago I received a phone call from the dog sitter. Fintan was unable to eat and was screaming out. He would eat a few bites of food, then scream. This happened three times. Second time it happened she called me. I told her to take the food away from him. I ticked off symptoms of bloat, while she was checking he let out a belch and it seemed all was fine. 15 minutes later she gave him the rest of his dinner. For the third time in a row he ate a few bites and started screaming, I could hear him screaming over the phone. I told her to take him to the emergency vet. Fintan, 13 months old, never been sick. I have never heard him scream out, it scared me. I called ahead to the e-vet, told them he is on the way and advised of his symptoms, and provided my credit card. I had to chose a level of care, and I simply said do whatever it takes to make him better even if that means surgery. The initial exam by a vet turned up nothing. I asked if they had tried feeding him, no they had not. Well, duh! So they did. Vet calls back and yes, he ate then screamed and his stomach does not fell right. Exactly my fear, is it bloat? Vet did not think so, but can she do x-rays? Yes, do whatever to find out what the problem is! I am so upset and frustrated that I am not there. I am out of town for a family event taking place tomorrow, staying at a hotel. So far the bill is nearing $600. I am waiting for a call back with the x-ray results. Maybe he ate a toy or something, before the petsitter arrived at the house to feed dinner? I don't know. Fingers crossed that the source of the problem if found and he is treated.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending positive thoughts to you and Fintan. I can imagine how hard this must be for you--hang in there! Hope they can find and easily treat the issue soon.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

:hope Fintan

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

So latest is that X-rays show a full stomach, but he only ate maybe 1 cup of his dinner (he gets 3 cups for dinner). Before dinner he had defecated outside. So why is his stomach full? Vet "does not think" there is an obstruction. He can either stay there overnight, and repeat X-rays in the morning or my dog sitter can take him home however he would be alone (with my other dog Nola) overnight and petsitter will return in the morning. Or, I can drive 2 hours home in the dark (I have night blindness and am recovering from a brain injury and am not supposed to be driving!) and bring him back here with me. Aaargh what to do??

So it would be 4 hour drive round-trip.

Oh my gosh, how scary. I'd vote for keeping him overnight at the e-vet for monitoring, instead of home alone. Something is obviously bothering him if he's screaming out. Would something be wrong with the esophagus instead of stomach?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest grey_dreams

Would he be alone at the vet, or is there a tech who will be there? If he's not alone, leave him overnight at the vet. Don't risk killing yourself driving in the dark for 4 hours.

Do you have someone to help you drive? At least company?

Also, has he had a pepcid or gas x and have they checked out a) the roof of his mouth and teeth and B) his neck for strain/sprain/disk issue?

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

I would be making the drive on my own. I

Do you have someone to help you drive? At least company?Also, has he had a pepcid or gas x and have they checked out a) the roof of his mouth and teeth and B) his neck for strain/sprain/disk issue?

I would have to make the drive on my own. I am at the hotel room, anyone who could possibly help me with the drive is out to dinner and I know everyone will be having a bit too much wine. I have Harkan my IG here with me.

Thanks for the suggestions of things to ask.

Would he be alone at the vet, or is there a tech who will be there? If he's not alone, leave him overnight at the vet. Don't risk killing yourself driving in the dark for 4 hours.

It is the only emergency vet in the whole county and open 24 hours. I just want to be with him.

So seems my options for Fintan staying there are

A) Kept as a medical patient, IV fluids, pain meds, checked on my vet tech overnight and if anything comes up doctor will see him, repeat X-rays in morning $1600 + total

B ) Released as a medical patient and boarded overnight, no one checking on him overnight.

Option B is out. I asked what about him being an overnight patient, but no IV fluids and pain meds, rather just something for his stomach. They did not like that and the vet tech's response was if there was a financial reason and I said no, simply that I want what is medically necessary done and from the description of how he is doing (laying down, calm, alert) I did need feel he needs IV fluids and pain meds.

Grrrrr

Edited by Sorcha

I don't want him sedated and on IV fluids and pain med drip all night. No reason I see for that.

I am just going to have the dog sitter take him home, and hope he's fine overnight. I will have her give him Pecid or Gax-x, how much should a nearly 100 pound dog get? She has been dealing with this for 3 hours now and the e-vet has not determined anything.

Oh no bb Fintan! D: Wonder what it could be... oh gosh... Though the fact that he cries out while eating would make me think something is wrong with his teeth themselves... Or could it be an onset of larynx problems/laryngeal paralysis?? Though I don't know that the symptoms match up.. Or something with his epiglottis?? It's troubling that he is shrieking out while eating!

I hope they figure out what's wrong with him and that he recovers swiftly from whatever this is. Please be okay Fintan! This is from your super #1 long-distance admirer :goodluck

I am not comfortable with the treatment he is receiving at the e-vet. I will be much more comfortable taking him to his regular vet, or the e-vet up the way in Pennsylvania if needed tomorrow. Come morning if he is not well, I will return home to care for him.

Thanks, everyone.

Oh no bb Fintan! D: Wonder what it could be... oh gosh... Though the fact that he cries out while eating would make me think something is wrong with his teeth themselves... Or could it be an onset of larynx problems/laryngeal paralysis?? Though I don't know that the symptoms match up.. Or something with his epiglottis?? It's troubling that he is shrieking out while eating!

I hope they figure out what's wrong with him and that he recovers swiftly from whatever this is. Please be okay Fintan! This is from your super #1 long-distance admirer :goodluck

He screams out after swallowing the food. Thanks for being the # 1 Fintan fan!!

Sarah, this list is from a googled site regarding canine bloat. No dose limit is given.

Phazyme, Mylanta Gas (not regular Mylanta) or Gas-X. They contain simethicone which helps reduce gas.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If he is burping then he has gas and if the gas builds up, could result in bloat and then torsion.

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you when you are not here to take care of the situation. Can you ask the sitter to stay overnight and watch him?

I would give him Gas-X to help relieve the gas. I'd also like to second the idea of asking your pet sitter to stay with him.