Spontaneous Peeing?

Need some advice as I am worried.

Early this morning we took everyone outside. They played and we assumed went pee as they did poo. Three hours later back home from my partners dental surgery and someone peed on the dog bed. Would have been Moon or Hattie...Tista was in the other room.

Took them out, Hattie peed and peed. Moon did not.

Just now however, Hattie was lying on the sofa and no whine, nothing...she gets up and there is a HUGE puddle of pee.

What is going on? What should I be considering? I am about to freak out that something serious is going on with my baby girl.

She has never done this. She has always let me know if she has to potty if its inbetween walks.

Any help would be appreciated so I know if I need to get to the vet or if this is something to handle first from here at home.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Could be spay incontinence. Both my younger girls (4 and 6) have unfortunately started. The 9 yr old is fine! But they're away and they just seem to 'leak' pee. They're on DSE. I give them a pill daily for a week then wean them down to what seems to be a good working dose. I go a couple of months with Tanzi before she needs another pill.

How long had Hattie been on the sofa? How long between her morning pee and the discovery of the wet spot on the sofa? Is she acting normally otherwise? Eating? Drinking? Poo? Happy? Normal energy level?

When Hattie peed, could she have been straining to pee? I would monitor her liquid intake (Is water added to her food?) and watch her when she pees. If you think she may be straining, get a urine sample from tomorrow morning's first pee, and take it and her to the Vet tomorrow. Even if she doesn't appear to be straining, if you find another puddle, I would follow MaryJane's advice.

Spay incontinence is usually drops of urine, but from my experience, if a dog with a constant drip lays in one spot for any length of time, it could result in a huge puddle.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

How long had Hattie been on the sofa? How long between her morning pee and the discovery of the wet spot on the sofa? Is she acting normally otherwise? Eating? Drinking? Poo? Happy? Normal energy level?

When Hattie peed, could she have been straining to pee? I would monitor her liquid intake (Is water added to her food?) and watch her when she pees. If you think she may be straining, get a urine sample from tomorrow morning's first pee, and take it and her to the Vet tomorrow. Even if she doesn't appear to be straining, if you find another puddle, I would follow MaryJane's advice.

Spay incontinence is usually drops of urine, but from my experience, if a dog with a constant drip lays in one spot for any length of time, it could result in a huge puddle.

Hattie is acting fine, she is playing, poo'ing fine, drinking normal, gives her kisses as usual, tail wagging silly.

This morning she went out to potty at 8AM. We got home at 11:30AM, and there was a big puddle on the one dog bed. I took her out at 12PM and at around 3 was when she peed on the sofa. She had been laying on the sofa about 30 minutes. She did not and has not appeared to be straining. When I take her out (took her out again at 4:15PM), she goes right over to spot of grass, squats and pees, looking all around for what to play with next.

She does have water added to her food. This morning was kibble, oatmeal, blueberries, and some water of course with the oatmeal oh and strawberries. She's had that before, but I think the water might have been more than usual.

Not sure how to get a sample of her pee.. pretty sure she will stop peeing if I get up to her as she is squatting lol. Not that I'd blame her ;)

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

One thing, vet!!!

A sudden change in peeing behavior always needs to be followed up by a vet visit.

excellent advise...call tomorrow morning, collect the first urine of the day and discuss. most likely your vet will check the sugar level, easy dip stick test, check density- thru a spectrometer, maybe send it out for a culture(depending upon his style)maybe just give you antibiotics. but from personal experience, watch and see if there are additional puddles between now and your visit it sounds like a relaxed sphincter muscle.

in our house relaxed sphincter resulted in a good size pool of urine- at least 1/4c. it happened a couple of times in a row, des fixed it initially. then 9 months later it reoccurred and i am administering proin(12.5 mg every other day). it was a weaning process going down to the every other day dosage. don't worry, your dog is still house broken!!

as to getting a pee sample, flat container- cool whip is what i generally use, let them start peeing and slide it under. just like what we do at the obgyn- mid-stream. let's see if your vet offers to return the container :hehe

Edited by cleptogrey

It's bad enough when a dog can't hold it, but when they urinate on themselves when lying doing that is more serious. They don't do that unless something is physically wrong. Nadir was doing this a few years ago. It turned out he had a sensitivity to rice that somehow affected his bladder or kidneys.

Thanks everyone! I know that any change in peeing can be an issue, and just wasn't sure what all possibilities to make sure we checked for. I like to be prepared and get my knowledge when heading to the vet or anything.

She hasn't had another accident yet. I have been watching her closely. And writing down all the details so I can better answer the vet to narrow it down. Hopefully it was just too much liquid earlier in the day. :goodluck

Many moons ago our older, spayed Zoe flooded our bed...in a panic I dragged her to the vet who (of course) found nothing wrong. I think he put her on DES for a while.

Currently, Bess flooded our living room but she is on Prednisone for issues and this is to be expected. My fault for leaving her 5 hours.

And this is why our dogs are not allowed on the furniture...Zoe was a rascal and would ignore me, knowing I would never stay mad at her. And I never did...

Edited by charbess