Sign in to follow this  
Guest Clawsandpaws

Dudley Made Someone Cry :(

Don't feel badly. She sounds unstable.

For an adult to freak out over a dog in someone's car...that's really rather sad.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest k9soul

I agree with the others, she really should not be working the drive thru window. She could work a register inside and not have to deal with any dogs (unless a service dog came in). Sad that she has developed such a severe phobia of dogs.

I've had people gasp before when seeing my italian mastiff Cleo in the car...the comments are usually along the lines of "OMG, what a scary dog". I just laugh and say "Her slobbery kisses are about the only thing scary about her ;)"

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I agree with the others that the employee should not be at a drive thru window especially if the restaurant is close to a pet store.

At a couple of our local McDonalds, Magic has gotten treats. Our local Rita's actually give a small iced custard with a dog cookie for the dogs. One Rita's did it for free.

With regard to fear of dogs, Magic actually charmed someone who was afraid into petting him. I was talking to an older woman on a walk. She mentioned that she thought Magic was handsome and that she was afraid of dogs. Magic just stood staring at her. She soon came over and gave him a tentative pet on the head.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

That's insane!! It's her problem, not Dudley's.

Agreed.

Being scared is one thing, she sounds a bit irrational.

Guest greybookends

Kind of the opposite, my husband is a security guard at a local gated community and he drives around the area all evening and being a dog person he carries cookies with him and hands them out to all the doggies he encounters. The dogs have actually begun to recognize the truck with the blinky blinky light on top and will get excited and the owners come out to the porch so the doggie can get a cookie from the nice man.

Now here's where it gets interesting. The other security guard is not a dog person and a little afraid of them and this became a problem for her when all the dogs came out to greet the truck with the blinky blinky light and get a cookie. However over time she has begun to carry her own cookies and has also become friends with all the doggies. Another person cured of her fear of dogs.

This works out great because now if a dog gets loose, they are both familiar with most of the dogs in the area and they just get out, offer a cookie, grab the dog and take it home.

That seems like an overreaction considering Dudley was in a vehicle and she was inside a building. It was not like he could get anywhere near her.

He looks so confused...poor baby. :)

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest Clawsandpaws

I don't feel bad anymore, don't worry! It was just a very uncomfortable situation! Many people in my area are afraid of dogs, and I do truly feel it is more of a cultural issue, but I think this girl had a real phobia, and I don't want anyone to have to go through life that way, especially in South Florida, where there are dogs everywhere! Hopefully the manager listens and puts her somewhere else. Poor thing

Guest kalzanetti

omg ! I guess from now on we must notify the drive thru that there is a dog in the car as well. hes a handsome fella !!! id give him kisses too

Guest jetska

Kind of the opposite, my husband is a security guard at a local gated community and he drives around the area all evening and being a dog person he carries cookies with him and hands them out to all the doggies he encounters. The dogs have actually begun to recognize the truck with the blinky blinky light on top and will get excited and the owners come out to the porch so the doggie can get a cookie from the nice man.

Now here's where it gets interesting. The other security guard is not a dog person and a little afraid of them and this became a problem for her when all the dogs came out to greet the truck with the blinky blinky light and get a cookie. However over time she has begun to carry her own cookies and has also become friends with all the doggies. Another person cured of her fear of dogs.

This works out great because now if a dog gets loose, they are both familiar with most of the dogs in the area and they just get out, offer a cookie, grab the dog and take it home.

I love this story. Love love love! :)

Guest Clawsandpaws

We have an adopter who is actually afraid of dogs (he adopted a very kind, calm grey) so he tries to come to the kennel yard very early in the morning to avoid too many dogs at once, too bad he always gets stuck with Dudley! The poor guy throws cookies at Dudley to distract him, but it really just makes Dudley WAYYYYY more interested in the cookie man ;) He is slowly getting over his fear though :) except for that initial greeting when Dudley busts through the gate!

I had a couple come to meet my 2 fosters at one point and the husband was afraid of the dogs. I thought it was crazy. He adopted my boy Sailor and they returned him a week later basically because they were all too stressed. I think if the husband weren't afraid, it could have worked, but that wasn't the way to get over his fear. Their loss was my gain.

Not sure how that face could scare anyone!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I think a reaction that bad requires some therapy. I hate spiders but I don't scream and cry when I see one.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitties: Raider my old man, Sophie the Fearless and Nalla the Purr Box
Rainbow Bridge babies never to be forgotten: Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ) June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) 
Bella the Rottweiler, Spike, DC, Gilda & Killer kitties.

My new across-the-hall neighbor is terrified of dogs. When she first moved in, she panicked when she saw Sammy. I told her that I would NEVER let him near her. Every time she sees us, she runs the other way, even though I never let him out to the end of his 5 foot leash when I see her. Well, a few weeks ago, Sammy and I were walking up the stairs. I'm not fast, but we were just trudging along. She came running out of her apartment and started trotting down the stairs. I called up "hey, we're in the hallway." She ignored me and we met on the landing below our floor. She started screaming like Sammy was Freddy Kruger and flung herself against one of the apartment doors. Both people who live on that floor came running out. I said, "what am I supposed to do? he's nowhere near you." She screamed, "but he's LOOKING AT ME." I said, "um, we all are because you are screaming." I continued up the stairs and heard her sobbing incoherently. I thought about slipping the names of some mental health professionals under her door, but decided it would be unkind. She and her husband are only renting. I hope they decide to move...soon. She needs to move to a complex that doesn't accept pets as there are probably 30+ dogs in my complex.

Oh, and her husband is a also a piece of work. When he first saw Sammy, he asked, "is that a German Shepherd?" I looked around, wondering if there was another dog nearby. Nope, he meant Sammy, who looks SO much like a shepherd.

Some folks are just ridiculous.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly with Sammy (Where's Mandrill), the happy toy-flinging chow-hound. Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Clawsandpaws

My new across-the-hall neighbor is terrified of dogs. When she first moved in, she panicked when she saw Sammy. I told her that I would NEVER let him near her. Every time she sees us, she runs the other way, even though I never let him out to the end of his 5 foot leash when I see her. Well, a few weeks ago, Sammy and I were walking up the stairs. I'm not fast, but we were just trudging along. She came running out of her apartment and started trotting down the stairs. I called up "hey, we're in the hallway." She ignored me and we met on the landing below our floor. She started screaming like Sammy was Freddy Kruger and flung herself against one of the apartment doors. Both people who live on that floor came running out. I said, "what am I supposed to do? he's nowhere near you." She screamed, "but he's LOOKING AT ME." I said, "um, we all are because you are screaming." I continued up the stairs and heard her sobbing incoherently. I thought about slipping the names of some mental health professionals under her door, but decided it would be unkind. She and her husband are only renting. I hope they decide to move...soon. She needs to move to a complex that doesn't accept pets as there are probably 30+ dogs in my complex.

Oh, and her husband is a also a piece of work. When he first saw Sammy, he asked, "is that a German Shepherd?" I looked around, wondering if there was another dog nearby. Nope, he meant Sammy, who looks SO much like a shepherd.

Some folks are just ridiculous.

Oh geez! My neighbor is scared of dogs too! He doesn't scream though, just stands there frozen while staring at us wide eyed until we go around him. It is awkward because we work the same hours, so when I walk Dudley, he's there, when I get home and walk Dud, he's there again! I always try to be courteous, as he truly seems to be frozen in fear, but it he must have bad luck to have me move in with the only large dog in the complex!

Good golly.......those people need help. :nod

One time, Taylor and I were walking on the sidewalk along the beach.

There was a group of maybe 10 people standing ahead of us next to a big van. They looked/dressed Middle Eastern.

One woman saw Taylor and went SHRIEKING all the way inside to the back of the van. The others were cracking up.

Taylor just looked at them with a dopey look on his face and we passed.

I had to come back and find this thread because we had a similar (though not as crazy) encounter on Monday. I am getting a new roof on my house, so, the roofers were here. I sent Ozzie to my parents' house that morning because he would not appreciate the banging and people walking around outside "his" house. So mom came up to get him, leashed him up, and was headed out to the car with him.

The guys doing my roof used to work for my dad (he is retired now), so, mom was chatting with the foreman, Henry. Ozzie of course wanted to say hello and give him a sniff. Mom said that Ozzie sniffed him, and Henry didn't freak out, but, he visibly stiffened. Dad then told her that he is a little bit afraid of dogs, and that's why he stiffened. Apparently when Mom had come out of the house with Ozzie, Henry said, "oh boy" in a somewhat panicked tone.

He did let Ozzie sniff him, but made no move to pet him or anything. Probably just wanted to be polite :lol

Also, Ozzie's former home told me in a letter that they wrote to be given to his new adopter (me), said that Ozzie is afraid of short stocky Latino men in hats. Well...Henry is a short stocky Latino man, and he wears a hat on the job. Ozzie was clearly not afraid of him :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Clawsandpaws

I had to come back and find this thread because we had a similar (though not as crazy) encounter on Monday. I am getting a new roof on my house, so, the roofers were here. I sent Ozzie to my parents' house that morning because he would not appreciate the banging and people walking around outside "his" house. So mom came up to get him, leashed him up, and was headed out to the car with him.

The guys doing my roof used to work for my dad (he is retired now), so, mom was chatting with the foreman, Henry. Ozzie of course wanted to say hello and give him a sniff. Mom said that Ozzie sniffed him, and Henry didn't freak out, but, he visibly stiffened. Dad then told her that he is a little bit afraid of dogs, and that's why he stiffened. Apparently when Mom had come out of the house with Ozzie, Henry said, "oh boy" in a somewhat panicked tone.

He did let Ozzie sniff him, but made no move to pet him or anything. Probably just wanted to be polite :lol

Also, Ozzie's former home told me in a letter that they wrote to be given to his new adopter (me), said that Ozzie is afraid of short stocky Latino men in hats. Well...Henry is a short stocky Latino man, and he wears a hat on the job. Ozzie was clearly not afraid of him :lol

I could understand a dog being afraid of some hats, they are weird!! At least the foreman didn't turn into a fearful puddle like some of the people we have been meeting -_-

I still think all these people need professional help.

I was chased and bitten by a dog when I was 8.... I don't have any any issues with dogs now.

If you start crying around a dog or anything else, you need help!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitties: Raider my old man, Sophie the Fearless and Nalla the Purr Box
Rainbow Bridge babies never to be forgotten: Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ) June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) 
Bella the Rottweiler, Spike, DC, Gilda & Killer kitties.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I still think all these people needrofessional help.

I was chased and bitten by a dog when I was 8.... I don't have any any issues with dogs now.

If you start crying around a dog or anything else, you need help!

I think in my area, there is a large Haitian population, there are supposedly a lot of cultural reasons that they do not do well with dogs. One of my Haitian friends said that this was because dogs were primarily used as war tools for a long time (not our kind of working K9s, but just as vicious, killing machines) and that a past president actually stated that he would "come back" as a dog and eat the people. I don't mind people who are afraid of dogs, I am totally freaked out by frogs, but I normally just see people avoid me, not have a total freak out session! (Those who freak out like the Arby's girl definitely need some help, I could not imagine living with that level of fear on a daily basis)

I do feel bad for anyone dealing with phobias or panic attacks. It is not something the person has any control over, these events can be very debilitating. No amount of "get over your fear" comments are going to help a person suffering from panic attacks or phobias actually "get over" them. Just because we love dogs does not mean that everyone else has to feel the same way and why they have such a strong reaction to a dog could have been due to a truly traumatic event that we have to right to judge. Also phobias are not easy to cure and take a very long time to modify. Maybe this person is doing something about it but being so close to a dog, especially a large dog send her way over threshold. Just sayin....

Guest Jacks_Human

I do feel bad for anyone dealing with phobias or panic attacks. It is not something the person has any control over, these events can be very debilitating. No amount of "get over your fear" comments are going to help a person suffering from panic attacks or phobias actually "get over" them. Just because we love dogs does not mean that everyone else has to feel the same way and why they have such a strong reaction to a dog could have been due to a truly traumatic event that we have to right to judge. Also phobias are not easy to cure and take a very long time to modify. Maybe this person is doing something about it but being so close to a dog, especially a large dog send her way over threshold. Just sayin....

Very true. At the same time, I'd say someone with a debilitating dog phobia needs medical intervention, since that's got to be having an impact on their general quality of life.

Jack has a talent for charming people with dog phobias-- I've met two children and several adults who fear dogs but were able to pet Jack. Also, when I first got Jack, I anticipated some issues with my neighbours, who are primarily Indian or Pakistani Muslims, since dogs are regarded as ritually unclean by a number of sects. However, I learned that there is a folkloric tradition in several regions which considers greyhounds to not be dogs (by the logic that greyhounds and salukis are ritually clean, and therefore not dogs), and in fact these neighbours are quite fond of Jack.

With all sympathy for those who are afraid, these stories a very amusing. If Hester get's the slightest inkling that someone is afraid of him he will immediately walk up to them and stands sideways right in front of them like he is presenting himself. It's happened twice. One teenage girl completely froze, shaking with her hands up in the air. Hester just stood in front of her blocking her path, with a blank look in his face waiting to be petted. I convinced her to just put her hand on his back after which Hester trotted merrily on his way. The girl said it was the first time she ever touched a dog. She seemed pleased with herself.

Fortunately, while we meet the odd fearful person, I have never seen the full freak out version. You would have a complete breakdown here in Victoria if you were that type. There is no public place where you will not have many dogs approaching to say hello. Many non-dog owners seem to carry treats so any person that makes eye contact with a dog can expect a warm greeting.