Advice On Heating Pad

Guest dude

I wasn't sure where to start this topic, so I thought I would start here first. My boy has been starting to sneak into bed at night because he is cold. The weather is getting colder and I have a programmable thermostat which drops the temperature down at night to save heating costs.

We have a bed for him and cover him up if he goes to bed with us at night, which keeps him out of bed until he goes outside in the middle of the night. Once he comes back in, he jumps in bed and sticks his very cold snout anywhere its warm. Not pleasant at all not to mention the fact that he takes up half the bed.

I'm working on making him some pajamas, but I don't know if that is going to be enough. I found a pressure activated heating pad that is cost effective and looks like it might keep him warm at night.

Here's the link PlayaPup Warmer

Just asking if anyone has used this product at all and if so, how did they like it? If it keeps him out of bed, it is well worth $35.

I remember a vet (greyhound savvy) saying that you should never use a heating pad with a greyhound - i"m not sure whether it is the heat burning them or that it makes them too hot since they have no fat. Just like if you use water that is too hot when you bathe them, they can faint.

I turn the heat down pretty low at night too. With Rudy though I just put on his fleece jacket (haven't gotten around buying specific jammies yet), and he seems comfortable with that. I noticed if I put his fleece on at night he would stay the night in my room on his dog bed (a regular pillow type dog bed), but if I didn't he would move to his bagel bed in my office that has a fleece blanket in it and scrunch himself up small in that.

we keep our thermostat in the high 50s at night. i use an elevated bed(cheap version of a kundra bed) w/ a thick dog bed on it. the dogs wear fleece jammies that covers their chest and i bought double thick fleece blankets. when it's really cold i use my old down vest on top of the jammies. the vest zippers along the back and i sewed a couple of darts and it's a nice snug fit, keeps the heat in. i can not sleep w/ the dogs- a combo of allergies and felix sleeps on top of us. a simple kiddie gate keeps the pups in their room.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest DogNewbie

I hear ya about the bed! Wiley gets about 2/3 of our queen size and the BF and me have the other 1/3! Although I like snuggling with our grey as he is toastie and we turn our heat down and I am always cold!