Tmj In Greyhounds?

Guest hilosugar

Guest hilosugar

My 10 year old male greyhound, Joey, was diagnosed with TMJ - He will not eat anything that he has to crunch or chew - if he tries, he lets out a shriek! The vet gave him a shot of cortisone yesterday. He will eat very soft foods - cheese, chicken pate, etc. He attempts to go over

to the treat jar for a cookie - we give it to him and he just lets it fall out of his mouth! Help! Has anyone ever experienced this with their greyhound?

How long has it been since his last dental cleaning? How thoroughly did your vet examine the teeth? Were xrays taken?

I think it could just as easily be a damaged tooth rather than TMJ.

Editing to add that I guess it is possible. This site gives a good explanation:

http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/114195_PetTMJProblems.pml

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's most certainly possible. Poor guy!

You'll probably have to shift to foods and treats as if he'd had all his teeth removed, something else that often happens. Canned dog food, whirl his kibble in the blender until it's dust and mix with water or broth, soft treats like marshmallows or cheese or dehydrated liver.

Hopefully the cortizone shot will help him soon and chewing won't be so uncomfortable, but this isn't a condition that you can fix, you can only manage it. A daily dose of an nsaid will help with pain and inflammation.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly