Was Hoping For A Clear Answer

So, Molly has a tumor in her abdomen on/near the spleen. We did an ultrasound today, and I was hoping I would get "tumor has not spread, go for surgery" or at least "sorry, tumor has spread, no point in surgery" The second option would be horrible, but at least I would know. Ultrasound showed, one nodule on the liver, 'might' be a cyst, or 'might' be related to main tumor. Something going on with lymph node closest to main tumor. 'Might' be inflammation from tumor, 'might' (more likely) be start of tumor spreading. So, technically surgery is still an option, could remove the tumor and spleen and she would feel better, until the spread started again. How long? Of course, no one can say.

Aaauuugh! I have to make a decision and I keep going back and forth :(

How old is she? Frail or pretty robust? Does the blood work suggest liver impairment?

I would be inclined to get that spleen out of there, realizing that I might need to let the dog go on the operating table. But that's me, and it sure isn't a clear choice :( .

Sending best thoughts for you in making a tough decision.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Batmom. Providing you can afford the surgery, and are prepared to let her go if needed, it seems worth a try.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

With Fiona, they found a small lesion on her spleen and monitored it for about a month with repeat ultrasounds. As expected, it started to grow and her spleen was removed to prevent a rupture and bleed out of the spleen. The biopsy showed the lesion was cancerous. During the spleen removal, they were able to see if there were additional lesions/tumors to remove. Last week she finished the last of the 6 chemo treatments for the cancer. She will be monitored every few months for a while to be sure the cancer hasn't spread.

It's difficult to make the choice to go with the surgery but if the spleen is involved it is best to prevent a worse case scenario if possible.

I'm so sorry for what you and Molly are going through and know all too well how you feel. Sending good wishes to you both.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

She is 11 1/2, blood work is good. She is not a "young" dog, exactly, but has always been healthy, not frail. I would have done the surgery, no question, if the ultrasound had shown the tumor had definitely not spread. I am inclined to go ahead with the surgery anyway, I guess my main concern (other than finding that it is worse and having to let her go right then) is that if it is spreading through the lymph nodes, it will spread faster and she won't have much time. But that is true whether I do the surgery or not. I know the surgery won't cure her, this is more like an amp for osteo, to control pain and hopefully slow the spread.

Besides the ultrasound, did they do a chest xray?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greyaspet

I went through this with my 14 year old. For me due to age surgery was not an option we went day by day. My biggest concern was that I could not find anything Mitzi would eat and I mean I tried everything my fridge looked like a grocery store deli. She had 6 more months of good days when the bad started out numbering the good we made the decision to let her go. It is hard because you don't know what is going on or if surgery is the right choice only you can make that call. Quality of life short term and long term.

I went through this with an 11 year old except it was liver and spleen. Very high stress boy and I knew the surgery alone would be too much for him to handle. I brought him home and monitored him and he ralied and was great for a whole year. No one knows why. I let him go two days after his 12th birthday. His last year was great and he showed no signs of distress but it did come back suddenly and quickly. He went from having dinner, coming to bed and then being gone 12 hours later. I feel for you. These decisions are awful.

My friend went through this - they removed the spleen (it had a 7 lb tumor in it!) and she did 5 rounds of Carboplatin. That was more than 2 years ago and she's doing just fine.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Do the splenectomy--she's a time bomb waiting the mass to bleed. Many older hounds have "blemishes" on their livers. Also it is possible that even if it's a sarcoma it can be considered low grade. We have a wheaten in our practice that had a splenectomy last year -path returned with a low grade sarcoma--he was just in and we repeated bloods and rads and everything looked greyt.

Do the surgery but, remember the Amicar :-)

Guest Scouts_mom

In trying to decide about surgery, I would also think about how she is at the vet's. Does she have to be dragged in the door, trembling hard or does she race in, eager to see some of her favorite people. If it is the first and she were my dog, I would not do surgery. If she had to be let go, I would not want her last memories to be of terror.

Do the splenectomy--she's a time bomb waiting the mass to bleed. Many older hounds have "blemishes" on their livers. Also it is possible that even if it's a sarcoma it can be considered low grade. We have a wheaten in our practice that had a splenectomy last year -path returned with a low grade sarcoma--he was just in and we repeated bloods and rads and everything looked greyt.

Do the surgery but, remember the Amicar :-)

This is what I would do if it was my pup. I know it's not easy but a mass on the spleen will eventually rupture.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am a little less worried about the tumor rupturing than I was with Fletcher, this one is very firm, almost hard. She is not good at the vets, has to be dragged in, but settles down pretty well once she is inside. I have decided to do the surgery. I want to give her the chance for some more quality time, and it think the odds are pretty good. I know there are no gaurantees, and it isn't a cure, but Imthink it is worth a shot. My vet is totally on board with the Amicar, I'll get the prescription filled next week. I am hoping the surgery can be scheduled for next week. Thanks everyone!

Good luck!

Praying for an easy surgery and swift recovery.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Best wishes for your sweetie. :beatheart Sounds like you have a good plan.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Sending positive thoughts to Molly as you near the surgery.

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

We just went through this with our 10.5 year old girl Specky. She had a 10cm mass on her spleen, with nodules on the liver. Chest rads were clear, so we opted to do the splenectomy to give her a chance since splenic tumors are 50/50 benign/cancerous. We took our boy Riley in right before the surgery (this was all done on an urgent basis the day of the ultrasound) to donate blood for her. Specky unfortunately did not have a good outcome. Her liver was much more involved than the ultrasound indicated, and we decided to let her go while still under the general anesthesia.

I most sincerely hope and pray that your Molly has a better outcome and gets to enjoy a lot more time with you.

Hugs,

Carol Ann.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I am sorry you did not have better luck with Specky. I do realize that once they get in there, it may be much worse, but like you, I want to give her a chance. I hate the idea of having to let her go like that (not sure why it seems worse) but will do what's best.

Thinking of Molly and her family today and tomorrow. I hope your girl is thoroughly enjoying the extra cuddling and coddling she's getting.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter