Question For Those Of You With Service Partners....

Guest Lexxy

For those of you that have Grey's as Service Dogs.... are any of them trained to scent fluctuations in Diabetic Blood Sugar Levels?? as a Medical Alert...??

I'm wondering how successful Greys are at this... as it's one of the things I would need a service dog to do, and I'm really hoping to choose a Grey... but need to be sure this skill can be successfully taught.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I know of sighthounds as medical alert dogs, I have never met a greyhound alert SD, but I think that is more because there are several more easily trained/suitable dogs.

I am sure you could find one capable of the things you want, but you would probably need to work with a person who has experience in detecting what dog has the potential for these skills. Do you do your own training? Work with a mentor or trainer?

I have heard of this group doing some great things with SD greyhounds (mostly for PTSD and other pysch issues) perhaps you could contact them and ask them to point you in the right direction as far as finding a trainer or appropriate contact for helping you find a grey capable of the things you need. http://www.greythearts.org/index.html I would think the hardest part is finding a dog with the skills and potential to be a medical alert, you may need to find several groups/contacts willing to work with you. Kudos to you for trying though, I hope you can find what you are looking for.

yes, Greythearts is one of the resources i'll be using... and I've really really hoping I can get a Grey to train, as i'll be training on my own...

I'm just not sure I can train my SD (current or future) to alert to the sugar and o2 levels in my blood. I'm not sure how it's done exactly, but there is a group that SPECIFICALLY trains Dogs and Medic Alert Dogs....

I may have to ask, find out// how they do it and see if I can replicate it. If not, I may have no choice but to go with a dog already trained to alert to those two scents and probably their basic training for public work by that age -- and then train them to do the PTSD/BiPolar tasks I requier them to do myself.

I certainly understand I may not be able to go with a grey because of the scenting required... but it will certainly break my heart, as my whippit mix has addicted me to sight hounds, and the more time I spend watching the greys and reading about them.... well.... they have simply captured my heart with their beauty and grace and (mostly) impecible manners and capacity for love.

just my growing opinion.

Lex

They're gorgeous dogs! But if you will be working largely alone, you maybe should consider a breed or dog who is more designed for that type of work. By that I mean perhaps a scent hound.

I think that some, maybe most, greys could be trained, but its a bit like looking at other breeds and what they're good at. If I wanted to do herding, I probably could train a greyhound, but it would be harder than using, say, a kelpie. If I wanted a gun dog, again, a grey might be used, but why not use a retriever of some sort? For scent work, you could use a grey, but why not a beagle (or whatever)?

Guest Scouts_mom

I know a greyhound who alerts to low blood sugar levels. It is a talent he learned himself--no one taught him. When his owner realized what he was doing, the grey was trained and certified as a service dog.

Dogs can be trained to scent anything - but some dogs are more suited to it than others. If you want an alert dog - I'd suggested getting one already trained for it. I think it takes a year to train a dog to alert to a scent - by a professional. I wouldn't even consider doing it yourself. I'd suggest contacting a service group - and asking them to train a grey for you.

Or - ask for a dog trained to alert - and also get a grey just because you want a grey. Why not?