Lucas Has An Ominous X-Ray...

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Lucas started limping on October 18. I did all of the usual conservative things like leash walking, pain meds, etc and told DH that he had a week to get better or I would take him for x-rays. He was very anxious at the vet and would not give a consistent exam but the vet (not my regular one) thought it was his wrist. Those films looked fine. I asked her to please get the shoulder to and she tried but Lucas wouldn't cooperate. She agreed to sedate him and there in his proximal humerus is that cloudy patchy spot that so many of us have become familiar with. My vet was in the office and agreed that the films looked abnormal. Now we start the journey of getting consults and opinions and I expect we will soon be dealing with amputation. NC State is where Kebo had his surgery so I asked them to send stuff to them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as it so happens, this is how we found OSA in katie, too: sudden limping, took wrist rads which were negative, then on a whim asked to have shoulder rads taken -- which showed an abnormally dark area in the proximal humerus. she had her amputation done two weeks after the limp first appeared.

wishing you the best of luck with lucas.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I am sorry to read this about Lucas. Good thoughts for your boy and that if he's a candidate for amputation, that all goes well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:( wishing you the best , and support either way. Praying it's not what it seems.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest greytkidsmom

Appointment is at 10:30 on Tuesday at NC State. If they agree with the diagnosis and feel that he is a candidate they will do amp on Wednesday. The vet called us back in for chest x-rays which were negative for mets by our first look. Good news is that when I went to the store to get Lucas some chicken they were having a huge wine clearance sale. Someone up there knew that I needed an adult beverage :)

:candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:( Sending best wishes for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending hugs to Lucas and you.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Adding our good thoughts and hugs to Lucas and all his family.

Not to hijack, but as someone who now lives closer to Blacksburg than to Raleigh, I am wondering if you had a bad experience at Va Tech, and that's why you return to NC State?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest greytkidsmom

Adding our good thoughts and hugs to Lucas and all his family.

Not to hijack, but as someone who now lives closer to Blacksburg than to Raleigh, I am wondering if you had a bad experience at Va Tech, and that's why you return to NC State?

We had a great experience with the ophthalmology department but a poor experience with the soft tissue surgery service. Kebo was referred there first for his oral mass which turned out to be a fibrosarcoma. I have no problems with residents (I work in academic medicine and with residents all of the time). The one who saw us did not present herself in a confident fashion and was offended when I asked to speak to the attending who would be performing his surgery. At first she said that the attending was too busy to speak with me but she appeared in short order. The attending was confident, knowledgeable, and reassuring so I consented to the procedure. I had to ask them to bring him back to the exam room so I could tell him good bye. They would not allow me to visit him during his ICU stay. While I know that the owner being present sometimes upsets the animal they never explained why I couldn't visit they just refused when I asked. When he was discharged the resident mentioned to me as we walked out the door that "oh by the way" he had been pooping blood and that we should get with our regular vet if it continued. That was never mentioned during any of our phone updates. Several of my colleagues as work have had poor experiences as well. I will not take any of my animals there for an elective procedure again. I felt like I was punished for being an informed pet owner and for asking questions relevant to my dog's condition and potential surgical complications.

When the histopath revealed that the tumor was incompletely excised Tech referred us to NC State for oncology consultation. The oncologist recommended a more aggressive resection and the treatment we received from the student-resident team was entirely different in a good way. The resident anticipated every question I could have asked and at the end of our meeting they invited us to visit with him every day when he was there. The attending called me after the surgery was over but I knew he was in good hands with everyone who was looking after him.

Edited by greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Well here's a twist...

We saw the team at NC State today. FNA of spot on his right humerus was positive for osteosarcoma. Before they did the FNA they did a thorough orthopaedic exam and he screamed when they manipulated his left hind leg. They did pelvis and limb films and found a spot on his left distal femur. If that spot is osteo he isn't a candidate for amputation. Tomorrow we get a bone scan and if the spot lights up they will do a FNA. After the FNA results we regroup.

:( I was wondering how today went. Continuing to send strength to you all.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)