Ate My House Keys? Help.

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Ok guys, I need some support/advice here. I can home on Wednesday afternoon from three days in NY, used my keys to open the door, got bum rushed by the hounds, dragged in my luggage, purse, etc. took off my jacket, it was chaotic. Then I took the girls for a walk. Came back, took Miami out, didn't give anything a second thought.

A few hours later, me and DH were going out to dinner and I couldn't find my keys. Anywhere. I don't remember taking them out of the door so I could have left them in and someone could have stolen them out of the front door. Possible but highly unlikely. We live in the city, but there is a screen door blocking the view and it is a nice, quiet neighborhood. We had a locksmith change our locks the next morning just in case. We really searched the whole house but it is possible they are in some weird location and will pop up.

The other possibility is that Miami ate them.....but he has never tried to eat or showed interest before in my keys. BUT, he does have a serious history of Pica. He has eaten lots of stuff. But my car keys, really? They are huge. Had about 8 keys, including a big car key, on about three different interlocking rings and then about 10 various supermarket and drug store coupon cards, AND a small football key chain that was attached. It wasn't one or two little keys on a ring.

He is eating fine and pooping fine and no real signs of discomfort. He has been acting a little weird today but, then again, he is a weirdo sometimes, so I could be over analyzing. He slept good, no problems getting comfortable. Could they be sitting in his stomach? Could the metal be making him sick? Should I take him to the vet for xrays anyway?

ARRRGGGGHHH. I don't want to overreact. Need advice...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a no-brainer -- Take him for x-rays.

The cons, it will cost for the x-ray

The pros, you will know if the keys are in him and can take emergency measures while there is more time to figure options and you will get peace of mind if the keys are not in him.

Check all pockets, luggage, and laundry thouroughly. Look in and under dog beds and furniture. It's more likely that they were carried off or kicked under something?

If that fails, then I'd go for an x-ray for peace of mind.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

I agree. Check EVERYWHERE before panicking. But bear in mind that if he did eat them, car keys have very toxic batteries in them these days, so it wouldn't do to leave them inside him for very long. I'd see if they vet can do an x-ray sedated, or even an ultrasound.

Actually, though, the 'airport' type scanner doesn't sound too bad an idea!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest DeniseL

What if you took him down to a gov't building and ask to walk him through the metal detectors?

great idea! Even one of those handhelds would probably work...

But, I have him going in for xrays at 2:30. Vet recommended it. Thankfully, the only car key on the ring was my husbands spare. and it is just a normal key. I took my car key off before I left, ironically, to have the battery changed. I did search the whole house that night. Then we paid for the locksmith because I figured someone MUST have stolen them out of the door or maybe I took them out and dropped them when I was bringing in my luggage. After more thinking on it, its more likely he ate them. Still, the whole thing is weird. I trace back my steps and they are the only options.

I will keep everyone posted.

great idea! Even one of those handhelds would probably work...

But, I have him going in for xrays at 2:30. Vet recommended it. Thankfully, the only car key on the ring was my husbands spare. and it is just a normal key. I took my car key off before I left, ironically, to have the battery changed. I did search the whole house that night. Then we paid for the locksmith because I figured someone MUST have stolen them out of the door or maybe I took them out and dropped them when I was bringing in my luggage. After more thinking on it, its more likely he ate them. Still, the whole thing is weird. I trace back my steps and they are the only options.

I will keep everyone posted.

Have you checked the car trunk? (Had that happen 30 years ago and have never forgotten it.)

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest DeniseL

Have you checked the car trunk? (Had that happen 30 years ago and have never forgotten it.)

I had a cab drop me off. took the keys out of my suitcase to unlock the door. that is my last memory of them. I only left the house after that to walk hounds and I usually do not take the keys with me.

You just never get a break with that crew! I hope the keys aren't in Mr. Miami.

They're a mess LOL but I loves them :beatheart ESPECIALLY, my Mr. Man. Praying the keys are not in him. Leaving for vet now.

Oh, I can hardly wait to hear the results of the x-rays! I'm HOPING that the x-rays show nothing.

But, yesterday a certain "older couple" who shall remain nameless, spent more than 40 minutes looking for a box of unused checks. Had confirmation that the box of checks was ordered in January. Had confirmation that the checks were not used based on the checking account history. Other than one person who is trusted without question, no other human was in the house unaccompanied since January. The box of checks have been kept in the same cubby hole in the roll top desk for 30 years. Every room, every drawer, every cabinet, every box/container was searched; no checks. At some point very early in the search, "he" said maybe the checks weren't in a box, and "she" said but they have always been in a box. Approximately 39 minutes into the search, "she" had an epiphany! "She" went to the roll top desk, opened the roll top, reached in and grabbed a customized folder containing the brand new checks in the cubby hole right above the old box!!!!!

Sometimes you cannot see the forest for the trees. I sincerely hope you find the keys in the house/porch/car/yard, anywhere but inside Miami!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest DeniseL

NO KEYS!!!!!!! YAY!!!! Thank God.

The vet tech there, who I love, said, "Denise, you have to be the only person I know who loses their keys and xrays the dog" LOL they know Miami really well there and this is not the first time we have been through this...probably not the last either...

Still have no idea what happened to them, but as long as they are not sitting in his stomach, I'm good.

The vet tech there, who I love, said, "Denise, you have to be the only person I know who loses their keys and xrays the dog" LOL

Oh my gosh I busted up laughing out loud at this. Hilarious! :rotfl

Glad no keys are inside Miami's tummy! :lol

I lost mine once. I had a box of harness's out on the counter top. I must have been looking for a harness. I usually put my keys down on the counter top. Months later I had the box out again for a harness and my keys were in the box.

Best of luck with this mystery

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I have one of those keyless vehicles....just a little box you have to have on you to get in & get it started. I usually keep it in my pocket when I go out,

so I know where it is & can feel it. Came home one evening, MUST have had the box, because I locked the car; went straight inside & to bed. Next

morning can't find the box. Looked EVERYWHERE, even gave my house a good cleaning that next weekend thinking I'd find it then. This happened

last spring....I STILL haven't found it. Never occurred to me to xray the dog.

So glad the keys aren't in a tummy. You'll find them eventually (I hope).

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

An d of course you know that we can't possibly let this thread die until you find your keys....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg