Sick Girl...not Sure How Long This Will Last.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Is it possible it is from the antibiotics that she is taking for her UTI?

She finished the antibiotics on Monday so I'm not sure if it would have had that effect 4 days later?

She finished the antibiotics on Monday so I'm not sure if it would have had that effect 4 days later?

The antibiotics can remove the good bacteria from the GI tract and that allows the bad bacteria to get a toe-hold. You probably want to get a probiotic for a few weeks to replenish the good bacteria. Or, you could give yogurt instead but, if your dog is milk-intolerant, it could result in another mess........

Guest LunaTheGreyt

The antibiotics can remove the good bacteria from the GI tract and that allows the bad bacteria to get a toe-hold. You probably want to get a probiotic for a few weeks to replenish the good bacteria. Or, you could give yogurt instead but, if your dog is milk-intolerant, it could result in another mess........

No worries, she is already on a good probiotic powder. :)

go easy on reintroducing food. less is more, it may take a while for her stomach to settle down. i generally keep mine on rice for at least a week when there is a full blown gi issue and then reintroduce kibble 1/2c at a time once they seem fine. i just did that w/ felix, he picked up something, my other dog didn't. i use a combo of over cooked white rice and 20-30% boiled chopped meat, just for the flavor. they gain the weight back really quickly, don't worry. and there is nothings wrong w/ keeping pro-biotics as standard part of their diets.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

She is doing much better. The D only lasted for about 12 hours on Thursday, she didn't poop at all on Friday, and had her first BM since the D this morning (it was small and mostly solid but it didn't look like what she'd have on the Iams. TMI but let's just say it smelled just like the canned i/d...bleh!). She has never done well on a rice diet as long as I've had her so I'm not planning to go that route. The vet said I can add in about a quarter cup of kibble on Sunday and keep increasing if she does okay. She'll continue to get the i/d canned for the next 4-5 days along with the antibiotic. Thanks for the well wishes!

If you like, you can make her some home cooked oatmeal. It is very soothing to the stomach.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Nothing to add, other than sympathy for having to deal with this! We've never experienced indoor D with either of our current hounds. But my wife had a greyhound about 12 years ago with terrible SA and, until it was solved, she came home semi-frequently to find 360 degrees of stressed doggie D on her carpets, walls, curtains, etc. I am feeling extremely lucky that both our dogs appear to have iron stomachs...

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Red raspberry leaf capsules work wonders for hound and human diarrhea, stomach cramps (and for humans, menstrual cramps). You can get them cheap at a health food store. Two capsules down the hatch for the brand we use (Solaray, IIRC) but check the label. Dosing is the same for humans and hounds.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg