What's His Deal?!?!

Guest serenc

I need some help here....

About a month ago my boy Hank stated turning up his nose to his food. He would eat his normal dry in the morning - no problems. Come evening - he would sniff, eat a bite, spit some out and walk away. I then began mixing Merrik wet food in to entice him. That did it for a while.

I then wondered on the condition of his teeth-vet checked everything and said his gums were irritated so time for a dental. took him for a dental - He was on a wet diet for about week while waiting to get in for the dental. He LOVED plain wet food.

After the dental he then went back to eating plain dry, no problem. THEN he decided to start turning up his nose again.

I went back to mixing wet and dry.

He eats all of his food in the morning, happily with no coaxing. In the evening he paces and will sniff if and go lay down. Each night that passes he becomes less interested in his evening meal.

I went to the pet store and decided to start changing him on to another dry food. We'll see how that works.

I guess my question is......

Since he eats so well in the morning, can i just give him a large breakfast and then in the evening just give him some wet food??

He knows when "dinner" is because he lives with another dog - i figure the wet food will just be a little something so he doesnt feel left out lol.

Anyone else have suggestions etc?

I'm sooo puzzled!!

Maybe he's just waiting to see what the humans are eating at dinnertime? Do you guys eat dinner in front of him but not breakfast? Is anyone sneaking him any table scraps?

I don't think I would worry too much since he's eating his breakfast. Is he maybe getting so much in the morning that he's just not hungry?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

How's his weight?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He hardly ever gets table scraps so I don't think he is waiting on us. In the morning he gets the same amount as he does at dinner time. I am just thinking since he is so thrilled for breakfast that maybe just do one main feeding in the a.m and "snack" in the eve...? Since I know he will go for plain wet food as a "snack"?

I just find it sooo odd that he has been in the same routine here for years - same food, same eating time, same amount for both meals.

His weight is good. He is about 85lbs and the vet says he looks great.

Guest Scouts_mom

As dogs get older they don't need as much food--maybe that is what is happening here. I'd go with the big breakfast and a snack in the evening.

I feed moistened but not softened kibble in the morning (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of Iams green bag) and wet food (a 374g can, which I believe is about 13oz.) for dinner. I change the wet food flavors and brands regularly. I've always fed my dogs this way (although with non-greys, I skipped adding water to the kibble).

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

It's possible that he's just grown accustomed to you switching up the food and giving wet food. Now, he may think if he holds out, something better will come along. If that's the case, you can add anything and everything you can think of (including a new formula/brand of kibble), but it will only work temporarily. I'd set down his bowl, no mix-ins, and give fifteen minutes to eat. If he doesn't eat, bring the bowl up and try again at dinnertime. You usually only have to do this once or twice for the dog to get the point. It feels like a battle of wills, but a dog won't voluntarily allow himself to starve.

It's possible that he's just grown accustomed to you switching up the food and giving wet food. Now, he may think if he holds out, something better will come along. If that's the case, you can add anything and everything you can think of (including a new formula/brand of kibble), but it will only work temporarily. I'd set down his bowl, no mix-ins, and give fifteen minutes to eat. If he doesn't eat, bring the bowl up and try again at dinnertime. You usually only have to do this once or twice for the dog to get the point. It feels like a battle of wills, but a dog won't voluntarily allow himself to starve.

I thought about this too...hmm!

I'm going to have to try it all because I have no clue what the deal is. He's never been like this before and I am just puzzled and a little worried.

Thanks all

First thought was I wondered how old he was. He may be fine with eating less but I would keep a close watch on his weight and any other different behavior.