Unsafe Pet Treats

jenners

PUdge used to get these treats all the time. My vet thinks it's what put her into kidney failure.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

One of the people in our rescue group said she got chicken jerky for her greyhound from Trader Joe's and it made the dog horribly sick. She posted the following:

"I gave Beau Chicken Jerky treats made in the U.S. that I bought at Trader Joe's so I thought they'd be okay. He ended up getting sick and needing fluids from the vet. Lost about 5 pounds. My vet recommended staying away from any jerky treats made in or outside of the U.S. She said they're just too hard to monitor."

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest lunasmom

One of the people in our rescue group said she got chicken jerky for her greyhound from Trader Joe's and it made the dog horribly sick. She posted the following:

"I gave Beau Chicken Jerky treats made in the U.S. that I bought at Trader Joe's so I thought they'd be okay. He ended up getting sick and needing fluids from the vet. Lost about 5 pounds. My vet recommended staying away from any jerky treats made in or outside of the U.S. She said they're just too hard to monitor."

I appreciate the info. I didn't originally think it affected US made treats, but I am still trying to figure out if the treats I have are potentially affected. I do not want to give Luna anything that might make her sick but since I am most of the way through the bag it is unlikely that this particular bag is affected. She will not get any more of that treat until I figure it out.

I have these http://www.petco.com/product/121087/American-Jerky-Slices-Dog-Treats.aspx#description-tab. They are American Jerky brand which I think it is a PETCO store brand, and are called Turkey and Sweet Potato Slices.

I also looked through the FDAs list of all reported incidents from Feb. through Sep. of this year and didn't see the treats or brand that I have anywhere on the list. (I did see one reported incident was for a greyhound which may be Beau from your rescue group).

Can anyone clarify if the treats I have would be considered a jerky treat? Do you think it is safe to continue feeding them?