Claritin Dosage

Just curious what dosage people are using for anyone who has their greyhound on Claritin (Loratadine)? My vet said to give half (5 mg once daily) so that's what I plan to do, but wanted to assuage my curiosity anyway. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I checked with my previous vet about trying different allergy meds on Aston, and the vet just said that any of the OTCs are okay as long as they're the "regular" version and not the -D version (the version with pseudoephedrine); he didn't mention a change in dosage. I've now given him regular people-doses of generic claritin, generic allegra and benadryl (benadryl dosed per weight, per the vet)... none of them made a difference in his post-nasal drip. :dunno

We ended up not using it but were prescribed 10mg a.m. and p.m.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hmm, okay. Zuri is only 65 lbs these days, but I will at least go with 5 mg twice a day to start. I get halving human doses, but the package does say 10 mg for anyone 6 and up, which is why i asked.

The poor guy is so itchy. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:( Hope he gets some relief.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Me too. I'm going out of town this wkd too so i wont be around to keep an eye on him and regulate his scratching. So Im really hoping the Claritin kicks in!

Unless the greyhound is teeny tiny, my experience with things like this is to give them the adult human dose.

Ozzie takes one Zyrtec tablet in the evening when he is having the itchies. I take one Zyrtec tablet in the evening every day so I can breathe :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--