Fda Warning Today On Jerky Treats

MaryJane

I make my own...can't trust hardly anything commercially manufactured anymore :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest chickenpotpie

I've gotten Beefeaters chicken livers which Lucky really likes and saw a bag of the jerky which I got as an occasional treat. after seeing the news report I was concerned and sent them an email. This is what I got back from Beefeaters.com

----------------------

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Please allow me to assure you that Beefeaters products have not been directly linked to the illnesses seen in dogs. Also, there have not been any recalls issued for any Beefeaters products currently.

Some of our products are made in China, but we go to great lengths to qualify our manufacturers as well as monitor the quality of our products and manufacturing processes, including:

• Monitoring food safety programs closely in all manufacturing facilities.
  • Ensuring that factories have received Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training and operate under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
  • Monitoring ingredient traceability and sanitation practices.
  • Using high quality ingredients, including natural chicken fillets.
  • Subjecting products to FDA approved irradiation processes to eliminate potential bacterial growth.

We also thoroughly test products for contaminants such as salmonella, heavy metals (mercury, lead, arsenic), pesticide residues, chemicals implicated in nephrotoxicity, food additives (BHA, BHT) and other substances that might arise during processing. All levels have been shown to be within safe parameters.

Also Please review our Quality Assurance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2pcmdfc3Q&feature=player_embedded (Preview)

Please don’t hesitate to contact me or email if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!

Josefina Wallen-Bell

Beefeaters Holding Company

Customer Service Manager
5801 Westside Avenue

PO BOX 67
North Bergen, NJ 07047

(: 201-854-6157 x110
2: 201-507-8296

*: jwallen@beefeaters.com

I've gotten Beefeaters chicken livers which Lucky really likes and saw a bag of the jerky which I got as an occasional treat. after seeing the news report I was concerned and sent them an email. This is what I got back from Beefeaters.com

----------------------

Dear xxxxxxxx,

Please allow me to assure you that Beefeaters products have not been directly linked to the illnesses seen in dogs. Also, there have not been any recalls issued for any Beefeaters products currently.

Some of our products are made in China, but we go to great lengths to qualify our manufacturers as well as monitor the quality of our products and manufacturing processes, including:

• Monitoring food safety programs closely in all manufacturing facilities.
  • Ensuring that factories have received Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training and operate under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
  • Monitoring ingredient traceability and sanitation practices.
  • Using high quality ingredients, including natural chicken fillets.
  • Subjecting products to FDA approved irradiation processes to eliminate potential bacterial growth.

We also thoroughly test products for contaminants such as salmonella, heavy metals (mercury, lead, arsenic), pesticide residues, chemicals implicated in nephrotoxicity, food additives (BHA, BHT) and other substances that might arise during processing. All levels have been shown to be within safe parameters.

Also Please review our Quality Assurance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2pcmdfc3Q&feature=player_embedded (Preview)

Please don’t hesitate to contact me or email if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!

Josefina Wallen-Bell

Beefeaters Holding Company

Customer Service Manager

5801 Westside Avenue

PO BOX 67

North Bergen, NJ 07047

(: 201-854-6157 x110

2: 201-507-8296

*: jwallen@beefeaters.com

Doesn't matter how much they "oversee" the process as there are always ways around it if the people are not respectful of law or don't care.

Just saw on the news that the FDA has set up a site to let people contact them about the treats made in China. They want to hear from anyone that has/had a dog that got sick or even died from these treats.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I use these:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/54044/Triumph-Grain-Free-Turkey,-Pea-And-Berry-Jerky-Dog-Treats

They say they are made in USA, and country of origin in the ingredients specifies USA...

Anyone have any experience with these?

The only ingredient it gives a country of origin is the chicken. You don't know where the turkey or other ingredients are coming from and since they don't state it I would imagine it is not the U.S. That's not saying they are coming from China, but there is no way of knowing.

Guest carriej

I sent an e-mail and received this :

Hello Carrie,

Sourced and made in the U.S. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks,

Bert Bostick

Triumph/Evolve Brand Manager

Phone: 800-633-3349 ext. 3230

Fax: 256-356-9900

bbostick@sunshinemills.com

Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:45 PM
To: bbostick@sunshinemills.com
Subject: Triumph dog treat question

Hi there,

With all the recent recalls on jerky treats; I can't help but ask.

I give my large dog your turkey, pea, and berry jerky. I see that it is made in USA; but I have to ask are any of the ingredients sourced from China and is there any chance that your treats could make my dog sick?

I mean no offense, just a concerned pet-parent.

Carrie

I sent an e-mail and received this :

Hello Carrie,

Sourced and made in the U.S. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks,

Bert Bostick

Triumph/Evolve Brand Manager

Phone: 800-633-3349 ext. 3230

Fax: 256-356-9900

bbostick@sunshinemills.com

Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:45 PM

To: bbostick@sunshinemills.com

Subject: Triumph dog treat question

Hi there,

With all the recent recalls on jerky treats; I can't help but ask.

I give my large dog your turkey, pea, and berry jerky. I see that it is made in USA; but I have to ask are any of the ingredients sourced from China and is there any chance that your treats could make my dog sick?

I mean no offense, just a concerned pet-parent.

Carrie

Ok, the word "sourced" is not such a good one as it could have various meanings. It could mean that they use another company that is in the US and they buy the material from them BUT, that does not mean that the other company buys from US locations. These companies have gotten very good at covering up where there material comes from. They are not lying, just not giving you the whole story .....

Send them another email and ask if they buy directly from the farms that have the turkeys or do they have a "middle person" that they buy from.

Guest carriej

I sent another e-mail, waiting for a reply. This "jerky" is not really like typical jerky. It's more like a treat. I questioned the pet store I buy it from today while I was picking up dog food and they told me that it's perfectly safe. He's been eating them now for well over a week so I hope so.

I see Acana has a new line of treats. I will most likely end up with those. Or just making my own - this is ridiculous thing to have to worry about. Should not have to worry about purchased dog treats making our pets sick!