Weighing Your Greyhound

Guest nagashade

Guest nagashade

As a new greyhound owner, I hope to get some advice and hope that I have this topic under the right subforum.

This may be a silly question, but how do you weigh your greyhound? I have a smaller dog (a blue heeler) which I just pick up and weigh on the bathroom scale with me, then subtract my weigh. I'm hesitant about using this method with Keeley so I thought to ask on here for some input. As a new member of our family I want to keep track of her weight, especially as I try to pinpoint her ideal daily food amount. Thanks for any advice.

Scott

If you have a PetSmart nearby, you can weigh your dog there. The Banfield vets inside the stores have a scale in their lobby areas, and you can weigh your dog there any time the store is open.

Otherwise, you probably can stop by your vet and weigh her for free any time you want. (My vet's scale is accessible if I just walk in.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest nagashade

The Petsmart is a great idea. Along with the new greyhound, we just moved to the area 4 months ago, so been feeling out vets in the area. Took our blue heeler to one about 2 months ago for a rabies boost and checkup, but didn't care for them (sorry I'm picky, our last vet spoiled us). Been asking around with coworkers, so I have a few others in mind. Would like to find a family vet within 10-15 minutes drive in case of an emergency. Until then, Petsmart (25 minute drive, visit there all the time).

Ask dog owners you encounter out for walks which vets they use--and which ones they don't. That's how I found the vet I've had for 12 years.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I just do it at the vet's office - we're in there every other whipstich anyway.

This made me lol and almost spit cereal everywhere!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

It's very important to take any new pet family member to the vet when you get it. I'm really shocked how few people do that. My adoption agreement actually required me to do it. You need to have your dog seen by the vet, checked for parasites, put on flea/tick preventative, and depending on where you live, heartworm preventative. You also need to find a vet who is somewhat greyhound saavy. It's not important that you like your vet. It's important that they know what they're doing!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest nagashade

GeorgeeofNE...I agree with you actually with the visit. I know that she is current on everything and has had a very recent checkup, but still mindful of having a vet check her anyways. I would like to establish a relationship with them now, instead of showing up during some emergency. I hope to get Keeley checked within the next few weeks, but biding my time while I ask around (also want to make certain that the vet is familiar with greyhound breed). The one the adoption agency uses in an hour away, so that won't do. Like I said, I'm picky, won't let just anybody treat my family members.

Wonder....You might just call it my OCD :), but really, I will be mostly going with the visual rib test that you mentioned. Would just like to have a actually number to keep track of too. Once of find the right vet, I will be going there for the weighing (maybe every several months). Until then, I have to make a Petsmart visit later this week and might ask the Banfield vet.

Guest nagashade

You also need to find a vet who is somewhat greyhound saavy. It's not important that you like your vet. It's important that they know what they're doing!

As to this, that is exactly why I'm so picky. Just because they have a degree, doesn't mean they are a vet I would trust and be comfortable bringing my family to. I'm not looking so much for personality, but their love for animals and their abilities/knowledge in treating them. You might say that I'm protective of my family.

Edited by nagashade

It's very important to take any new pet family member to the vet when you get it....You also need to find a vet who is somewhat greyhound saavy.

My vet does free "well baby checks" for my new dogs.

IMHO "greyhound savvy" is the most overused term in the world for everyday care. If you need specialty work that is another story. Educate yourself via sites like Greythealth or Grassmere Vet hospital and you can educate your vet.

That said when I started the rescue almost 15 years ago I was grilling potential vets and mentioned anesthesia to them. One country vet that did mostly large animals listened to my grilling and said "M'am if there is a vet that doesn't know about greyhounds and anesthesia they must have been under a rock for the last 10 years".

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That said when I started the rescue almost 15 years ago I was grilling potential vets and mentioned anesthesia to them. One country vet that did mostly large animals listened to my grilling and said "M'am if there is a vet that doesn't know about greyhounds and anesthesia they must have been under a rock for the last 10 years".

That's true, but it's amazing how many vets still give greyhounds opioid pain relievers that leave greyhounds antsy, panting, and anything-but relieved of pain after surgery.

Guest nagashade

Just to let you know, I went ahead a scheduled a vet appointment for Thursday. Found a vet only 15 mins away that is highly recommended and is very familiar with Greyhounds.

Edited by nagashade

That's true, but it's amazing how many vets still give greyhounds opioid pain relievers that leave greyhounds antsy, panting, and anything-but relieved of pain after surgery.

Agreed. That happened to me about 8 years ago - and the vet is now one of the preferred vets for a large rescue here. He asked if I was OK watching Rex throw up after morphine. He didn't tell me that would be the night from hell.
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I used the 'pick up and weigh' method, though the biggest grey I have had was Zelda (foster) and she was I think 34kgs. I have to do it on a day I am feeling strong though (I'm only 62kgs myself lol)