Not Wanting To Go Out In The Am- Growling And Snapping

Guest AndyandMaggie

Batmom alerted me to this thread.

One of mine--Graham--had similar issues when he came home. He wouldn't come out of his crate voluntarily. I had to put a leash on him, turn away, and move out, talking happily, sometimes with a gentle nudge on the leash. One day something frightened him and he poked me as I reached for him. It was distressing, but I just made sure to be extra calm from then on. After about a week, the happy talk was enough to get him up and out of his crate.

One outing in the morning should be enough. I take mine out for a walk before breakfast, but if he can wait until after, that's OK too.

You've received a lot of good suggestions here. I'm sure that it will work out if you give it time. I'm less than an hour away, and may be able to help if need be.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest AndyandMaggie

He's been good for the past couple of days. I let him come out of the crate on his own accord right now and have him muzzled when he has free time outside of the crate (just in case this happens again so I won't be afraid of him). I'm hoping it was an isolated incident.

We are starting training within the next couple of weeks but we have been practicing "come" and "wait."

I think we will go for the event GLOHW is throwing in the beginning of November but he is still pretty stressed out about the car so we shall see.

Patience and reading a thread about a greyhound NOT hating you and NOT being bored will get me through this :D He does come to me for cuddles on his own so I think he is mostly OK with me being around.

Perhaps if you feed him his breakfast after he goes potty? Does he sleep in your bedroom? Just wondering... I'm certainly no expert but our guy doesn't mind getting up once he realizes that he needs to go out before he will get his breakfast. Wishing you all the best... :)

Oops, I was working on my post before I saw that things were getting better for you. Glad to hear.

I'm glad things are getting better.

Where are you going for training?

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

He does come to me for cuddles on his own so I think he is mostly OK with me being around.

Whenever he comes over on his own, you need to snuggle the heck out of him and tell him how good of a boy he is.

The more positive attention you give him, the more he will love being petted and hugged by you.

Firstly, congrats on getting a greyhound! Our dog is from Needle Nose which is located somewhere around Hamilton, though we live in Kingston. Seems like we miss a lot of the action being so far east as most groups seems to be located between Toronto and Niagara.

Sounds like your pup has just been shell shocked from being relocated to a completely new environment and thinks his crate is a safe haven he doesn't want to leave (after all, the crate is likely the only thing in his new home that is familiar to him). I think once he's more comfortable with his surroundings and with you will have an easier time taking him out. It sounds like that's already starting to happen if he's venturing out of his crate on his own to explore. Do you have him on a set schedule for going out? It might help once he gets used to the idea that at a certain time, he must go out because it's part of the daily routine.

Growling is not a bad thing. Growling lets you know he's uncomfortable about something. Dogs normally don't bite out of the blue, but I've heard of some that start doing that after their owners taught them that growling is wrong so instead of growling a warning, they went straight to biting. However it can be hard to correct a behavior that you don't want without accidentally making him think you're correcting him for growling. At the same time you don't want him to think he can control you by growling at you. Some of the more experienced members here might be able to help more with that.