The Control Myth

Guest k9soul

Lovely, touching and true. Thank you for sharing.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Impossiblealto

Freaking amazing writing and such sentiment! Definitely sharing this with my friends - Thank You so much for sharing this with us!!!!

Awesome.

I loved what he said about teaching our dogs to make better choices for themselves. I hope some of my friends with kids will read this!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

I have always striven for a relationship with my dogs rather than 'control' over them. I realised very quickly that control over a dog is a myth. It's always a relationship, whether you like to admit it or not, and a relationship between a dog and someone who has to be in control over them at all times is - to my mind - a dysfunctional one.

I want my dogs to behave well in all situations, of course I do! But what I want is for the dog to WANT to do the right thing, not to do it because he is afraid not to, or because I want to show how good my control over him is at any particular moment. I want my dogs to be companions, and I want their behaviour to be 'good enough' while allowing them to express their doggyness. :)

And actually, you can have a beautifully disciplined dog and still have a great relationship. You just have to understand and respect each other!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop