Satin Balls Feeding Question

cello

Our 10.5 year old girl Specky is having issues with lack of appetite and weight loss. She is currently being treated for an Entercoccus Faecalis UTI infection after having her urine cultured. We have done every blood test we can think of and urinalysis, and abdominal x-rays. She is currently on Mertazipine - an appetite stimulant.

I have bought numerous kibbles for her to try all to no avail. I have bought six different canned dog foods. She will eat them once or twice and then walks away from the bowl.

Yesterday I made up a batch of Satin Balls. I did not have any wheat germ or molasses on hand, but included the beef, Total cereal, oatmeal, egg, gelatin. The batch I made worked out to 70 calories per ball, so approximately 5 balls equals the calorie content of one cup of dog food.

Right now, this is pretty much all she will eat, along with Milkbones and peanut butter. My question is, can satin balls be used as a main food source for the short term? I just need to get her to eat something, and to maintain her weight until we figure out what the medical issues are.

Thanks.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I had forgotten about Satin balls. I think with they will do just fine for her for now, certainly better than her not eating. I think I may need to make some myself as I am having more trouble getting my senior girl to eat, too.

Edited by k9soul

I don't see why it couldn't be used as needed until things are straightened out. Yours contain fortified cereals and protein. Hoping you find out and are able to easily treat her soon!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Yes we used these for a short time after Angel Jamey's amputation. I think it was 1-2 weeks. Eating Satin Balls is better than eating nothing!

Hugs for Specky.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Lazer LIVED on raw hamberger for almost a year - occasionally i added some of the satin ball extra's to it - I tended to

sort of mix my own stuff for him...

but YES to Satin Balls!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thank you! I am going to go and get the wheat germ and molasses for this next batch. Specky has an appointment with the vet tomorrow, and we will see where we go from here, but likely an abdominal ultrasound.

Carol Ann.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Satin Balls, AKA Life saving meatballs if your Grey is refusing food, you've tried everything else and they're loosing weight.

There are various variations of the recipe out there:

2 lbs raw hamburger or ground turkey. The cheaper and fatter, the better
3-4 raw eggs
1 cup peanut butter (unsalted PB! big time peeing resulted from normal salted PB)
1/2 cup karo corn syrup
1 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Dump it into a large bowl and mix together with your hands or wooden spoon.
form into balls about the size of a ping pong ball and feed up to 10 meatballs
per serving.
Freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet and then store the frozen balls in a zip
lock bag. Defrost before serving the raw meatballs.

Hope that helps some :)

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I added molasses instead of the Karo Syrup and only oatmeal and they are happily consumed here. I made them smaller than that and use them as Brady's pill pockets with a smidgen for the others to taste.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I didn't know what they were either.

Good to know! You all are a wealth of information :beatheart

Good luck with Specky! I hope you figure out what's going on soon.

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Cello, someone on this forum highly recommended canned Tripe and I opened the first can tonight...Bess is 12.5 and is getting fussier as well as skinnier. Got the tripe on Amazon and I was warned about the smell so I opened the can and dished it out outside. My other grey was spinning in circles, airborne until she got some too! I mixed it with her kibble and she cleaned the bowl except for a few pieces of the kibble. I hope improvement lasts but at least I feel better right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002EOW4E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. There are different varieties and I was told to get the Green tripe, not white. I got the beef but I see there is lamb as well.

Edited by charbess

We had to let Specky go on Monday. She had a large tumor on her spleen, and while doing a splenectomy numerous liver tumors were found.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I just wish we could have saved our special girl.

Carol Ann.

We had to let Specky go on Monday. She had a large tumor on her spleen, and while doing a splenectomy numerous liver tumors were found.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I just wish we could have saved our special girl.

Carol Ann.

Oh no.. I am so sorry :cry1 A spleen tumor is how I lost my golden retriever boy.

I'm so sorry !!!

:candle:grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Oh I'm so sorry :cry1

She is in a better place and pain-free now.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Guest sireltonsmom

Carol Ann.

So sorry Carol Ann. It was the brave decision and your inquiry responses have helped other doggies not eating. So sad.