Aston Update -- 10/17: It's Cancer, 2X Over. Couto Or Osu?

I'm wondering if 'graduation tissue' was a typo or autocorrected, and maybe it should be granulation tissue?

Regarding whether to consult with a local oncologist, it probably depends on whether you will be pursuing additional treatment through the oncologist or your regular vet. As Susan (GeorgeofNE) mentioned, these cancers are not greyhound specific, so a local oncologist would be a good resource and may be perfectly equipped to to manage his case even without Dr. Couto's input.

The 5FU option is not greyhound specific, but it is something that Dr. Couto has more experience with than most other oncologists. Radiation is usually the standard therapy recommended for soft tissue sarcomas with incomplete or close margins, but Dr. Couto's unpublished results using local 5FU injections had equal, if not better, results. He told me that if it was his own dog, he would do 5FU rather than radiation. An additional plus is that 5FU is much less expensive than radiation.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say how great he looks, and to send good thoughts out to both of you during this roller coaster ride. You and Aston are strong and brave.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

:grouphug for you both.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

"Also -- is it odd that I'm not going through a local oncologist?"

NO, I always put Dr Couto on alert when something happens to our greyhounds. Our greyhound broke his leg a few weeks ago at night. When we returned from the E Vet I emailed Dr Couto even before we had been to our regular vet the next day. I emailed him a copy of the E Vet's report, the same report the E Vet faxed to our regular vet.

I have driven our greyhounds up to Ohio State for 8 years now. I have been with the Dr's at Ohio State when Dr Couto was not there. They would say they would have to call Dr Couto to consult with him. And I would wait until they had reached Dr Couto before I received my answer.

Dr Couto is our go to man. Our local vet and surgeon did his surgery rotation at Ohio State and respects Dr Couto. Dr Couto has helped him out a few times with chemo.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Thank you so, so much everyone, for your support :heart :heart

Dr. Couto responded overnight saying that a new CBC is recommended, as the one from a few weeks ago has levels that are not okay for a greyhound (high white-cell, globulin / low albumin. My vet's on duty again at 8pm tonight (e-vet shift), so I'll check in with her then about the urinalysis results, getting a new CBC and asking the pathologist about GRANULATION tissue. Yay for autocorrect :)

He also asked whether Aston's been tested for ehrlichia/anaplasma. He said that Aston's symptoms are not commonly seen with these, but that he has seen dogs with ehrlichiosis and intermittent leg swelling. Tick-borne diseases are just so strange...

Called the vet when she got on-duty tonight and asked about getting a new CBC to check globulin in particular, as Dr. Couto mentioned that if it still comes back high, he recommends a protein electrophoresis. Vet then responded saying that the blood-chem run yesterday already included globulin (oh, derp). Aston's globulin read 3.7; Dr. Couto said that greyhounds should run <2.5. My vet wasn't worried about it, as it fell well within the normal range given on the lab printout.. I requested the electrophoresis anyway, but the clinic doesn't have a code to charge for it in their system, so I'll need to wait 'til Monday to take Aston in (Lab's not open until then, anyway).

Latest urinalysis results came back this morning -- normal with the exception of pH (7.5) and microalbumin (5.6). Microalbuminuria note underneath that reading had all sorts of fun things listed that I can start Googling while insomnia sets in.

My vet will also call the lab on Tuesday (next time she's on duty while the lab's open) to ask about whether the newer foot mass could be granulation tissue.

Sent these notes to Dr. Couto, and also asked whether Aston could still be battling the original pseudomonas infection in his leg? We're only halfway through his Zeniquin regimen.

I still feel so awkward calling my vet with the latest installment of Dr. Couto Says, especially when greyhound-specific items aren't within her worry-radar. She's been very agreeable to running tests even when she doesn't feel that they're necessary, but I wonder if I'm getting to be one of THOSE owners. oh well. If I don't advocate for Aston, who will? :seesaw

I'm very disappointed/saddened that we weren't able to make it to our adoption group's picnic earlier today. I was going to enter Aston in the Halloween contest dressed as not a dog, but a Unique and Delicate Snowflake. :snow

Don't forget that Dr Couto can speak to your vet directly--just might be difficult with time zone changes-may need to wait until he returns to the states. Honestly, do you really care if your labeled as "one of those owners"?? Nobody cares for your boy more than you so, you will be his best advocate.

Regarding missing your picnic-I here ya-missed Dewey this year as one of mine became ill just before I was to leave. You can still dress him-we would love to see pics ;-) !

Edited by tbhounds