Girls And Peeing

Guest RMarie

Moneypenny came home Friday night. We're slowly learning her behaviors. Something we're not used to is her peeing behavior. We're used to James, who only pees in the yard when he really has to go. Most of his pee-pees are markings while walking. Moneypenny, on the other hand, pees all the time. We can be out in the yard for 5 minutes and she'll pee twice. On walks, she'll pee 4-5 times. Is this normal for a girl? We assume it's at least normal for her, but don't want to make an ill-informed assumption and miss a UTI.

I would get a urine sample checked (first-of-the-morning is best). Some girls do this (I have one), but a urinalysis is a good idea for a new dog in any case :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One of our girls--Rascal--was a major pee marker. Worse than either of our males. She peed all. the. time. even in the yard, or especially on walks.

Urine sample is a great place to start--rule out anything physical. If that's OK, she's just a marker. :)

Phoebe, OTOH, does not mark. You can actually feel like you get a little exercise when walking her! :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Well, I'm off today and could take a sample in, but it obviously isn't the first pee of the day at this point. Should I take what I can now? I'm not sure DH has time this week to go in the morning.

My other concern is that she almost peed in the house Saturday evening and it hadn't been but a few hours since she was last out. Also, I discovered a pee spot in the living room this morning. I'm not sure when it happened or who it was from because I was preoccupied with the refrigerator delivery people coming in and out. Regardless, it hadn't been but an hour since I'd taken them on their morning walk. But, James didn't get to mark every time he wanted to b/c she would barge in on him (walking them both is tough!). It was a small, contained spot, which makes me think it was Moneypenny, but she was passed out all the times when I checked in on them, while James was pacing. Oh, and she has no problems holding it all night. If she had a UTI, would she need to pee at night?

If she had a UTI, she might or might not need to pee at night. In dogs, as in people, there's a hormone that reduces urine production when asleep. Unless you drink too much coffee, beer, etc. right before bed :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that she might need to pee more often than "every few hours", especially as she adjusts....Phoebe has been here over five weeks and I still take her out every 2-2.5 hours if I'm home. Better safe than sorry. And it's tough to know who 'did it' when you have more than one--as you've discovered. Plus, James could possibly have his panties in a twist over the new dog....who knows?

I don't know the answer to your question about UTI's and nighttime peeing--never had a dog with a UTI. And I *think* I've had dog's urine tested when it wasn't the first of the day--might not be as accurate though.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I also think she might just need more time. Whenever I bring my dog to a new place, he pees a lot more. I think it's an adjustment/smelling something new/marking/excited kind of deal.

Have you noticed if her urine is dark in color? Strong smell? Signs of blood in the urine? Is she drinking excessively, showing signs of hesitation when peeing? I would certainly keep an eye on signs of a UTI, but I wouldn't be too worried. If you are worried, then yes, collect a sample tomorrow morning and try and drop if off ASAP, just to make sure.

ETA: just re read your post about peeing in the house. I would drop a sample off for sure.

Edited by Clawsandpaws

House training 101 time. She's brand new, she doesn't know she shouldn't pee in the house so you need to manage her until she learns and with a dog who is a marker, this requires true diligence. Crate or tethered to you unless you can keep your attention completely on her, regular turn outs either on lead or if just in the yard, you go out with her, tell her to go potty, when she goes give her a few high value treats, back inside and resume management. Right after she's gone a few times is a good time to let her play or be more active, but while you still keep an eye on her. Then back in the crate or tethered until the next turn out. If you see her start to pee inside, just quickly get her outside, then praise and reward when she goes or finishes outside.

The u/a isn't bad idea just to rule out a medical issue like a UTI but this could easily be a housetraining issue, and yes, girls can be markers. Violet is and she's worse than Zuri.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, does it make a difference that she was fostered? We aren't her first home. James didn't have any problems coming into our house. I know she's not James, but he's my only measuring stick, so to speak. As far as I can tell, the accident happened while barricaded in the living room, which aside from the crate, is as confined as we can make her. I took yesterday and today off so she had 4 days to settle in with someone here. Tomorrow, I'll go back to work. I worry that even with our dog-walker coming mid-day, she'll pee. I wanted to crate her but am told she hates the crate from being forced in it elsewhere, so I fear her stress levels will go through the roof if we crate her.

The vet said we should have the results of the U/A today or tomorrow. The exam itself went fine. Here she is patiently riding in the car on the way to the vet. Her pout is model-worthy.

IMG_20131015_145725.jpg

Guest AngelPup

I don't have any answers for you--just wanted to say she's beautiful! Good luck with her and I hope you can get to the bottom of her marking/peeing in the house.

Glad you had her checked out and are doing a urinalysis. If the UA comes back normal, I'd just give her more time. As others mentioned, it's not unusual to see increased urination during times of stress and transition. Even if she was fostered, going from one home to another requires some adjustment.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

All 3 girls I have fostered have marked. I know one of them had a few issues with marking/peeing inappropriately when she was adopted out. Barbie also marks, she likes to pee right onthe corners of grass where people's driveways meet the footpath. I can tell with Barbie she has her 'relief pee' when she's been inside all day, and a few lil wees afterwards for marking, maybe 4 or 5 a walk.

Definitely a stressor going into another home, even from a foster home. Think about if you had to leave your home, go where there were new people, a new dog....no matter how wonderful they are and how much they love you, it is still *different* and requires adjustment.

Hopefully the U/A will turn up nothing....and as she settles, and you learn to 'read' her, this all shall pass.

BTW, she is beautiful. :)