Focal Metatarsal Fistula - In A Greyhound? Stab In The Dark Perhaps&#3

Guest jetska

OK, so this is a continuation of my 'drama' with Barbie. She had surgery for a suspected foreign body. They took cultures. Everything came up negative. Because the skin on the bottom of her foot was so damaged she had a big open area healing by secondary intention.

After a month of keeping her foot dressed the last little bit has not healed. The surgeon was still scratching his head, and referred us to a dermatologist. They think it's a focal metatarsal fistula and admitted it hadn't been recorded in a greyhound before. I had a look on the internet, it is a condition that happens in German Shepherds and there is a recorded case in a Weinmeraner. She is now going to have a topical steroid cream. If that doesn't work they will try oral steroids. Hopefully it works but it seems like a stab in the dark diagnosis to me - the symptoms fit and all the other things have been ruled out.

I wonder if they are going to be writing papers on her!

Ugh! It does seem like a shot in the dark but there are always exceptions. Not necessarily fun having the exceptional dog. One of mine actually did end up in a paper & even had tissue samples sent to a human research hospital & a university vet hospital in Germany. My old vet always said, "When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras." Then she had to add "But this is one of your dogs & you always seem to get the zebra." Sounds like you may have gotten the zebra, too.

Sure hope that topical can finally help your girl heal & stay healed. Good luck. Fingers crossed for success this time.

I hope it works but if it is what they say it is I expect many relapses and hopefully it doesn't happen to the other feet as well!!! The annoying thing is that the cream they prescribed won't be ready until Saturday. Now that the foot isn't dressed and moist it has sealed again. I am going to have to do warm compresses to keep the drainage flowing, otherwise it's going to be sore. She is still wearing the yard muzzle when unsupervised to prevent licking, but it's been about a month of that and she is coping, though she does get frustrated that she can't preen like she usually does.

The dogs are both now due for their vaccinations but since this is now most probably an autoimmune issue I am not sure whether to vaccinate her now or not.

got the tacrolimus cream on Monday, applied Monday night, and twice a day since. Got some gloves to use to apply as I don't want to be touching the stuff. Expecting it to take up to 2 weeks to see a result. I will have to take photos I think because the rate or change will be slow. She is very acclimated to wearing her yard muzzle all the time. She can eat kibble through it by using this strange shovelling action to get the kibbles into the enclosed area. It is very funny to watch. Of course I take the muzzle off at dinner time!

Barbie had her first follow up dermatologist appointment today and he was pleased with the progress. We are going for one more week applying tacrolimus cream twice a day, and then two weeks applying once daily, then another appointment. She actually ran at the park yesterday more than she has in months. She is definitely feeling better.

Barbie had her first follow up dermatologist appointment today and he was pleased with the progress. We are going for one more week applying tacrolimus cream twice a day, and then two weeks applying once daily, then another appointment. She actually ran at the park yesterday more than she has in months. She is definitely feeling better.

Awesome!!!!!!

I can see the improvement now, Barbie is now able to do our 'long' walk around the neighbourhood (maybe 3ks) without slowing down. We have a foster at the moment who needs a morning walk too, so at the moment she is doing two walks a day and handling it well! Her foot is a bit sensitive, she got a bit of grass stuck between her toes last night and she stopped and held it up til I removed it. She has had some ingrown hairs on her paw pad where it was shaved so I'm keeping an eye on them and pulling them out when they appear.... 3 more days of 2 x daily and then to once a day. Hopefully improvement will continue.

Saw her run today, she isn't totally 100% yet, pulled up slightly lame after a sprint but recovered and went again..... definitely getting better :D so nice to have my doggie back