Optimus Won't Walk With Bf

Guest KTPrime

Guest KTPrime

So Optimus has recently developed this weird behavior where he won't go for walks with my boyfriend. He might be able to get him outdoors but he'll only walk a few steps before Optimus statues. In the past, Optimus has gone on many walks with BF and with other people (family, dogwalker) without a problem. I'm not sure if it stems from the fact that Opti is SUPER mama's boy, and is constantly watching me to make sure I don't get away, and lately (if it's possible) he's seeming even more attached. I do the majority of the walking and feeding, so I don't know if Optimus is just being stubborn because he wants to be walked by me, or if he's afraid I'll "get away" if he's not watching me. Otherwise he seems to be getting attached to BF, is happy to see him when he comes home and all. We'll all been living together since July, and before that had we had spent plenty of time together at my old apartment, where he walked with BF with no problem.

I can't really figure out the reason behind this, or how to best remedy it. I had considered giving bf treats or something so Optimus would associate walks with him in a more positive way. Any suggestions?

Has anything happened on a walk with BF which might have frightened Optimus? Car backfiring? Garbage truck? Plastic bag? It might be simply that something happened which seemed trivial to BF but because Optimus doesn't know him as well, didn't see him as taking charge/ protecting him/ whatever and now associates walking with BF with something scary happening. That definitely happens with my girls - I know Paige is more uptight when DH walks her simply because he hasn't walked her as much as doesn't do things the 'right' way (according to Paige).

Guest KTPrime

I talked with BF, and he can't think of anything scary or out of the ordinary happening. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm just more confident around dogs, I've been around them my whole life and this is BF's first time really living with a dog. So maybe Optimus feels I'm safer or more in charge? Not really sure what to make of it.

Well, if I recall right, you and Optimus have more or less been recently "reunited" so to speak, correct? It may be that he's feeling a bit more attached to you, after having lived with your parents for such a long time. He may very well want to keep an eye on you, to make sure you don't sneak away on him again.

Maybe get BF to feed him for a while? Or for all of you to head out together but BF have the leash? I don't suggest giving up. Paige used to not walk for my husband and it culminated with her refusing to get off our bed until I returned home which, if I had to work late or go away overnight, became a bit impractical. It's now a lot better - she just doesn't eat for him now.

I agree with Brandiandwe - BF should do all the feeding and perhaps some training in the house so that he bonds with him as well. I also think BF should take his leash and control but you should go out walking together :) I think he will come around but he just needs to build the bond more.

Guest laura150

The same thing happened to me and my husband. At first, he'd go out with him all the time, and then all of a sudden, wouldn't get up to get his harness and leash put on and even if he could do that, Ernie wouldn't even go out the door. This went on for about 3 weeks and he's now starting to come around. Like you, I do the majority of his walks and feeding because of our schedules. Honestly, the thing that turned the tide was my husband talking and singing to the dog in a funny voice. He really likes Guns and Roses songs-he'll leap up in the air when my husband sings them.

We have the same situation. Hester is an extreme velcro daddy's boy. If I am home he mostly refuses to walk with others. My sense is that these dogs define their packs in a certain way that makes them feel more secure. Certain people, probably for no other reason than the dogs own preferences and emotions provide a higher level of this secure feeling. If your BF can start the walk away from the house - drive to a park etc., then perhaps Optimus will learn that he can have fabulous, safe adventures even when you are not present.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Impossiblealto

EXACT SAME THING WITH MY COCKER SPANIEL!!! My greyhound will let anyone walk him, but my cocker will only walk with my mother. He also is extremely attached and protective of her. If I am to walk him it really just consists of me pulling him down the street. Then on the way home he nearly pulls my shoulder out of its socket.

I talked with BF, and he can't think of anything scary or out of the ordinary happening. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm just more confident around dogs, I've been around them my whole life and this is BF's first time really living with a dog. So maybe Optimus feels I'm safer or more in charge? Not really sure what to make of it.

Yeah, but he's a guy.

My guess is he does something annoying that your dog doesn't like and he'd rather walk with you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck