Weird Behaviour, What Can I Do?

Guest Ruppie

Hello, wondered if anyone has any ideas on how I can help my 8yr old ex racer called Roo. We've had him 18mnths now and he's always been a nervous dog with space aggression but recently he's starting snapping/yelping when we try and pat him (we only fuss when he comes to us for attention) I've had him to the vets to be checked as it seemed to be the top of his head or ears but they couldn't find anything. He lives alongside our whippet without any major issues. I do sense he has been abused in the past but we have never or would never, I thought after the first 6 months or so we had grown a bond but we now seem to be going backwards...completely stumped!

Could be several things from an ear infection, to a sprained neck muscle, to him just settling in and feeling more comfortable expressing himself. A greyhound won't usually yelp and/or snap without a reason. You might seek out a second opinion from an orthopedic vet to rule out any musculo-skeletel issues - which is what this sounds like. Otherwise, try and pet him underneath his chin and neck, or down on his shoulders.body. You can also bring in a certified animal behaviorist to see what's going on.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If there's nothing medically wrong and he only gets snippy when you reach over his head to pet him, definitely just start under his chin and neck and ease your hand up to the side of his neck, back of his neck, shoulders, etc. Many nervous dogs freak out when they see your hands going over their heads, so that might be what's getting him. Given time (lots of time, perhaps) he may get used to you reaching over to pet, but start underneath his chin and see how he reacts with that :)

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Thanks for all your replys, we had a physio see him last year so might give her a call again and do have a behaviourist who has seen my whippet before...we had a baby back in February and my partner is getting a bit fidgety about his behaviour and young children in the house but I knw there has to be an answer!

Guest Giselle

Whenever dogs bite or snap, they are almost always at the end of their rope. Prior to biting, dogs always send subtle signals with their body language, saying: "Hey, ease off. I'm feeling uncomfortable. Please go away." They may turn their heads, shift their body weight, pull their ears back, drop their heads low, lick their lips, yawn, fidget, etc. These are all subtle signs, but they are very important and need to be recognized.

If we humans ignore or miss these signals and continue to do things that irritate or scare the dogs, the dog will send bigger warning signals, like growling/snapping/lunging/biting. The problem isn't the snapping/biting. The problem is the miscommunication that led up to it. I'd recommend seeking the help of a behaviorist.

some dogs just don't like their ears being touched... Bender doesn't and all it took were a couple of ear infections to make that connection in his brain. He will yelp but he doesn't generally snap unless he's really, really hurt.

Thanks for all your advice, does anyone think there could be a link to dietary allergies? He's recently taken against eating his food straight away and will leave it for ages before touching it. I've seen an article on google which relates dietary issues to chronic ear problems after searching for ear infection symptoms.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Does he have discharge/buildup in his ears? My standard poodle gets raging ear infections (thick, black buildup, redness, sensitivity) when he eats food that contains corn.

I haven't looked as yet but will do, if it is his food then the change in behaviour etc does tie into not long after we changed his food. Will let you know if I find anything....