Sharing And Playing Nice?

I have read all of the recommended books and I can't find an answer to my question. How does those of you with multiple dogs teach sharing? Toby doesn't play with toys so Payton hogging them all is not too much of an issue. But my daughter, who lives out of state, is visiting with her really sweet, timid greyhound. Payton took all of her dog's toys, as well as his own, and put them all in his bed. He did not want to give any of them up either.

I did a telephone consultation with a trainer. She is busy until next month. Any suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks once again for your help.

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

He probably took the toys because it's his house and everything in it is *his* not a another dog who's visiting! I'm not sure dogs really can learn to "share." Ownership by another is not a concept they understand. You can teach them to leave certain things alone, but not to share. "Mine" and "Not Mine" are going to be as close as you can get.

If this is mainly about the visitor, I would probably put up all the toys and just get them out to play at specific times. If he does get a hold of a toy and wants to guard it, then do a trade up and put it away.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think it's more personality. Some dogs tend to share and play nice and other dogs... just don't. I think it's kind of hard to teach. Kili has the sweetest personality and she loves to share toys when she plays. She likes to chase the other dog who has the toy, steal it, have them chase her, let them steal it, and so on. She's always been like that since she was a puppy. Other puppies she's played with though we had to remove toys from their play because the other puppy would hide under something and then growl and snap when another pup came by to try to play with the toy too.

If a dog in a household can't play nice, I think the safest thing is to just remove the toys and only bring them out for supervised play time.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest jbbuzby

My pair share exceptionally well and have learned this, I'm convinced. Early on, the moment anyone showed a mean face via possession, that dog lost it's toy. I also wouldn't allow the other dog to go bug them for their toy either, so they'd be corrected before a mean face would be "necessary." This made the dog with the toy trust me to look out for them (they got to keep their toy so long as they were "nice"), and the other dog to learn to respect my wishes and learn boundaries. I'd reward the other dog with praise, or offer them their own toy to get them interested. However, I will say that both of my hounds are easily distracted, and I usually try to keep a good balance on the toys, as in, we have two kongs, two rawhides given at the same time, two similar fuzzy toys. No dog is allowed to hoard them all...I'll go remove them and put them back in the toy bin if that's the case, but again, mine don't really feel much of a need to do this.

It's been great though. If they're both chewing a bone or playing with a toy, one will go get a drink of water, and the other will immediately go for the other dog's toy while they're not looking. When the other dog returns, they happily just go for the toy the other dog originally had and go about their way. They basically constantly watch each other for opportunities to "switch" and will sometimes even do it mutually. They do this with beds as well! It seems to work very well as a system, because I can count on one hand the number of "snarky" behavior instances I've witnessed with them over the past two years, and both are very respectful of each other. I will say this might be easier because my second hound is a little timid as well and very submissive; I might have a more difficult time if I had two more like my first (more active and dopey and willing to stand up for themselves).

For this meeting, I'd probably take away the toys except for maybe two that are extremely similar, so any time he tries to take both, you remove one of them and let the other dog have it, then be consistent with corrected any bratty behavior. A better idea might be to just not have any out if he can't handle it to avoid the issue, and instead make sure he is well exercised each day during the visit. If you have a crate for him, give him a bone or stuffed kong in there. It depends on if you'd rather try to "teach" him or just not have any conflict. Good luck with whatever you try, but I can at least confirm that yes, it is very possible for them to learn to share under the right circumstances!!!

Great replies! In this particular instance, it is not necessary to teach him to share. I can put the toys away for a couple of days. Since Toby doesn't play with toys, it doesn't cause a conflict on a day to day basis in our house. And he gives them up to humans so that is not an issue either.

I never realized how much Payton hoards his toys. My GSD had a favorite toy that I never made her share and it never was a problem, but don't know how much of an issue it is for him to want to keep them all to himself.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Put the toysm away! My last foster , who returned to the kennels today (sad Day)could not share toys bones, sox, or anything he took ownership. My longest foster now for 7 months did not work out. He ripped the ear on my Dalmatian several months ago and the attack for no reason to the neck was uncalled for. He then punctured my hand while grabbing an ice cube. He was always kenneled at night and days if we left for errands. The last straw was this week when he started a fight with my senior grey and bit a large chunk out the ear. He was a Velcro boy to top it off and showed teeth if any of the others needed my attention. It was a sad ride back to the kennels where he had stayed for over a year due to "EXUBERANCE" is how he was labeled. I fear if the right person won't take him on he may be destroyed. I'm not a newbie after 20 fosters by now, but this one was my Waterloo. So odd he never messed with my female Standard Poodle