Stair Gates

Guest Lisa_S

KJ has discovered that she can go up the stairs but not down. I helped her but it was scary b/c I got home and she was up there crying. Ding dong.

I'm currently using a tension/baby gate at the foot of the stairs. Well, she knocks it over and sleeps in DD's bed I think!

Anyone know of or have a gate I can use at the bottom if the stairs that DD's can easily open & close but the dog can't get over or push down? My concern is the dog in the night and DD's in the night needing to come down.

I am going to teach KJ the stairs but its a house rule: no dog in bedrooms.

Thanks!!

Edited by Lisa_S

I don't know what to suggest on gates other than maybe a hinged gate with a latch type thing, but I can't imagine having that rule.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So you have a social creature that has always been with siblings, or other greyhounds, and now he is put into an environment that is totally foreign to him. He doesn't know what the rules are, what he is supposed to do, everything he has ever known has been taken away from him, and to top if off, he now has to be alone each night. Wow, that's tough...

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Wow. Sorry I asked. I have 3 children who need to sleep at night, and we don't want dog hair all over the bedrooms or sleeping in a child's bed. My children are quite social and don't need to be in each others room or mine. They aren't any worse for wear. KJ is adjusting fantastic and has a spot to rest in each room, lots of love and lives uncrated. (OMG the himanity!) My children have restrictions regarding their actions - and so does the dog. I'd rather restrict her than hear a 60 pound greyhound fall down wood stairs in the middle of the night because she slipped. No matter how well I teach her, that's a legitimate concern. FWIW (which isn't much around here) the dog sleeps right outside our bedroom door. Soundly. I really didn't think I was joining such a snarky group. And with that, I bid you adieu

Lisa

A few thoughts:

- You've made a lot of posts on the forum since you joined and the vast majority of people I think have been very polite and helpful. There are many hundreds of members here and different personalities. To suddenly label the entire community badly is unfair.

- A dog can easily be taught not to get into beds or on furniture (in fact, my boy has never attempted or shown any desire to get in my bed) and it's very easy to do a quick vacuum after greyhound hair. I'm sure she's loved and well cared for, but it probably IS more difficult for her and may explain some of her separation anxiety problems. I'm not sure if you read that article by Kathleen Gilley but most of these dogs have never ever been so alone as they are when they are adopted after retirement. http://www.gpa-az.com/gilley.html

- Would it be out of the question to move a dog bed into the corner of the room for her that she could sleep on at night? It could really help her security and bonding. To be honest it actually makes me feel more sad for her that she sleeps right outside your door. She wants to be closer to you.

I do wish the best for your family and your pup.

Edited by k9soul