Dino's New Chew Toy I Mean My Window Sill's

So Dino has developed a chewing problem, he has only done it twice, but he has decided that he likes to chew on out window sills. He has no shortage of rope chew toys one next te each bed after he.

The first time Dino chewed was about a week ago, during the day when he was home alone. He chewed on the window sill next to his bed in the bedroom.

The second time My wife Niki was home and Dino was laying in the front room after his dinner and he chewed on the window sill in the front room.

A little background, we have had Dino for a little more then 8 months, and about a month ago he has been out of his crate all day. He made it clear to me
Any thoughts on how to get him to stop chewing?

I don't want to have to crate him or muzzle him all day.

Thank,

Ryan E

Dino and Stella

Get some bitter apple spray and spray the wood. It might work. Though some greys seem to like the taste rather than avoid it. You can also try spraying sour lemon or lime jiuce. Next best is to block his access to the sill with a baby gate or xpen.

If he's doing when you're home, a spray bottle may be needed if he doesn't take to re-direction to a more appropriate chew toy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh boy do I feel your pain! Sheba chews on the inside garage door frame because that's the door I leave and enter, and only when I'm gone. I assume it's separation anxiety, and it's the only destruction she does and only when left alone. She doesn't chew there when I take care of my dog-sitter's greyhound, but I'm not at the point where I'll get another grey.

I tried bitter apple, tabasco, and a couple other things to no avail. I didn't want to muzzle her everytime I went out, either, so I ended up putting a wrought-iron chair there to block her access, which did the trick.

I recently had a new inside garage door installed and had them install a PVC door frame instead of wood in the hopes she wouldn't chew there--NOT! She chewed the PVC within 36 hours of installation.

A friend of mine fabricated an aluminum strip, powder-coated white, to be placed over the chewed frame, and we're hoping that will do the trick. It hasn't been installed there yet because we're temporarily in a rental while my place is under renovation.

BUT, at the rental, she now has chewed the bottom horizontal slats on the front-door blinds! I muzzle her in the rental now when I leave her alone (I should have anticipated it and been proactive. . .).

Yes, try putting something bitter on the sills or see if you can block off the areas. Good luck!

a good trainer i know swears by alum. you can find it in the spice dept of the supermarket. dilute w/ water to the consitancy of elmers glue and paint it on the area. she hasn't met a dog who has gone back to chewing after tasting it. you might have to do a lot of painting w/ it from your description.

Well a little update:

I moved Dino's Bed (yes many of them) He just lays in the spots were the beds were. :haha

Another chewing again while my wife was home but in another room.

So I don't think its a crate him when we are not here. I am hoping I can tire him out, guess we are going for a run in the rain, as its arc building weather here in the Mid Atlantic.

I trip to two pet supply stores Dino has some new toys with different textures to keep his mouth interested.

Bitter apple spray on all of those tasty window sills.

We are tying an antler he like it a lot, so i let him have it until a hint of red from his gums then it was time for a break.

I think we will try some time with the antler every few days

Thanks

Ryan E

I will keep an eye out for some alum

Dino and Stella

sounds like a high energy foster we had who just very nonchalantly would lie on the dog bed and then suddenly start chewing the molding or furniture next to her. when she wasn't under my eye or foot i used to crate her and give her raw marrow bones. i've never had a dog who had such a need to chew. we exercised her a ton, fortuntately she went to a home w/ a young crazy lab and a big yard. exercise might be your best friend, exercise until the two of you are exhausted....too tired to chew!

• 1 month later...

so an update I just couldn't get Dino tired enough and we started Crating him again.

The first week or so was hard for Dino but he got back into the routine.

We have screwed that all up and have been home all week, I have been crating him for a few hours every day,and he is fine with that as long as he can see me or I am not home. Its diffrent with my Wife and that is good as she will be home for 7 more weeks.

Dino and Stella

I've never met a dog that would just chew on a rope. Those are good for tug of war, but not chewing. It's actually pretty dangerous to leave a dog with an edible chew when you're not around--meaning antlers, bones, rawhides, etc.

Something like a Kong with gooey stuff smeared around on the inside will keep him busy, but there is no danger he might swallow it and choke.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Dino doesn't every eat his ropes toys, he isn't interested in them these days and doesn't get tug. Dino will chew on a rope toy some times Dino Gets a frozen Kong stuffed with apple or bananas with a few small pieces of biscuit at the bottom, caped with a little, ether peanut butter ( ingredients peanuts only), or kong spray then frozen.

R

Dino and Stella