Bandaging A Cut High Up On The Leg

Truman has a cut on his leg that started small, but his incessant licking opened it up into a pretty deep, decent sized nick. When I came home earlier tonight, there was blood all over the bedspread. I'm trying to wrap it at least for a day or so to get it scabbed over. But I've tried it several different ways, and the bandage keeps sliding down. Any tips on how to wrap it? Should I go around the waist? I finally got his muzzle/stoolguard out to stop the licking.

You may need to get him a pair of a toddler boy's pajama pants. Put them on him backwards, so his tail can come out the fly. Then you can put a mini-pad in the pants to keep them from sticking to the wound, but leave the wound unwrapped.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

From the picture it sort of looks like it could take a couple of sutures...

Ace wore silk boxer shorts when she had a similar boo-boo. It would start to scab and then she would lick it. Boxers helped :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

the first thing i said to myself when i looked at the pic- "staples/dog bite- he's been nailed by his brother." bitenot collar should keep his head away from this leg. check out the web site then get creative. i used corregated cardboard and duct tape to make my own. i lined it with a hand towel. the cardboard version may have to be replaced since it wears a tad at the base of the neck but it kept felix from chewing his staples- both sets of staples- both times nailed by the head hancho- emily.

it's a hoot watching them get around w/ the bitenot on. at the time felix was still in love w/ his crate and couldn't turn around,couldn't pick up sticks on our walk w/o poking himself in the eye.

Aston had a wound just higher up on his hip, and no manner of cone/bite-not collar would keep him from it -- he's just too long and serpentine, and could wrap around and get to it. We kept him in his four-legged jammies 24/7 (this was last winter, anyway) and duct-taped the end of his turnout muzzle, with holes cut out for drinking water. The wound ended up being a spider bite that later burst and turned necrotic, so it required surgery... the muzzle kept Aston from successfully bothering the stitches, too.

Hope Truman heals up quickly. Poor buddy. :(

The staples have pulled out (great :riphair) and the wound is still open. But the good news is that it's no longer draining. It seems like the tissue is granulating. I'm taking him back tomorrow so they can look at the staples and take them out if necessary.

Edited by a_daerr