Red Fur

Guest Waterdog66

Guest Waterdog66

So Audrey has several places where light patches of fur have turned red. (Almost looks like sunburn) They are not necessarily places where she licks a lot but she is quite vain and keeps herself pretty clean. (Places were she licks a lot are not red, but other places are)

She is a red brindle with plenty of white fur on her underside. (Where the red spots appears)

When I looked this up the first response was "RED YEAST" and indeed this would seem to be the case. However, there is no smell or other symptoms of being a yeastie dog so I am beginning to wonder. (The spots are not irritated or inflamed)

Her food (Merrick Grain Free Chicken and Sweet Potato) is working great for her but IS loaded with Beta Carotene. I am wondering if the BC is what is causing the stains.

I know from experience that people who eat a lot of BC will start to see coloration changes in their skin. (Think babies who love carrots, sweet potatoes or squash and have red noses)

I am hesitant to swap out her food mostly because it otherwise works so well for her. (No GI issues, her coat is super soft and thick and she eats with gusto) Unfortunately, if it is red yeast,

the solution IS to swap out her food. (Owing to the high sugar content in the sweet potatoes)

Any thoughts?

Guest Waterdog66

Thanks Everyone. I went to take a photo of it and it is mostly cleared up now. Only one spot on the inside of her front leg (Below her Arm Pit) and it is an area that she never licks. I took a photo of it and will post it later.

I am sure now that it is probably NOT yeast. (I smelled it and there was no funk)

I will try posting the photo later....

Guest Waterdog66

Disregard.

Vet said it is Sunburn. Her fur is a lot thinner in the areas she has this than first appears and the redness is actually the skin; not the fur.

She spends some time in the afternoons sunbathing under a window and I guess it got her in some soft spots and she got scorched.

It is mostly gone now so I guess she figured out how to turn herself around when she is starting to get burned.

Thanks to the folks who replied. (Topic Answered)