Redness Between Paw Pads

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Today I came home today and Ernie was limping and not putting weight on the back part of his right paw. When he laid down, I took a flashlight to examine his paws and there's redness between the bag large pad and one of the side pads (sorry, I don't know the right lingo for what they are actually called). There doesn't appear to be anything stuck up in the fur and it almost looks like chafing. We run twice a day (probably 1.5 or 2 at a time) at a leisurely pace and he looks forward to it each time. It's weird that it would come out of nowhere with the limping and redness.

Could it possibly be chafing? If so, any suggestions on what I do for it? I feel so badly for him and don't know what to do for it.

Guest laura150

I tried to take a picture of it but the angle is too weird. It is a corner of one of the small paw pads. It looks like a tiny tear. His paw pads look a bit cracked and dry. What is the best ointment to use for paw pads?

Also to note that it's not bleeding. It just looks red on the side of the pad.

Would soaking in Epsom salt help with healing? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how you soak a back paw in a bowl of water? How do you get them to stay still while it soaks? My poor buddy.

Edited by laura150

Guest laura150

Ugh, upon further inspection it appears there is something stuck, not in the pad but the skin next to the pad. It could be glass or a rock. He squirms when I touch it.

I can't get him to sit still long enough for me to try and take it out. I've bribed him with dentastix but he eats them too quickly. He lets me touch it when he's eating the treat but that's it.

Should I take him to the doggy ER?

Do you have a muzzle & some peanut butter? Does he like peanut butter? If so, perhaps you could coat the inside of the muzzle with peanut butter. While he's on the peanut butter challenge you may be able to get a better look. The suggestion for an epsom salt soak is an a good one. Even if you manage to get whatever it is out the epsom salt soak would be good follow up care.

Good luck. Hope it's a very temporary problem.

Guest laura150

So it is actually a scab that I thought was glass or a rock. I am getting ready to soak in the salt. How much do I add? Does it seem to hurt them?

I was able to distract with dentastix. I agree that I should have muzzled but he didn't even flinch when I touched it while he was chewing.

I'm a helicopter greyhound Mother!

After a soak, should I put neosporin on it to help heal or just do the soaks and let it heal on its own for a week?

if it's a scab it's on the mend. i would leave it alone, epsom's salts will help bring something to the surface and dry it out. dog saliva seems to have fantastic medicinal qualities, my dogs would end of licking it clean. many greys seem to file for workman's comp as soon as there is a knick or dent- your boy may have filed as well! watch it, if it's not red and swollen then it should be ok. if you want a soak or so in epsom's salts go ahead- i soak 2-3xs a day when there is a problem. for real foreign object itchamocl(wierd black drawing salve) helps bring objects or puss to the surface. don't panic!

Guest laura150

He totally filed for workman's comp! He was acting like the world was coming to an end last night and this morning he was chipper and his usual goofy-self and wanted to run on our walk and wasn't really limping. We did the epsom's salt last night (which took a bit of handy work because we don't have a tub and he's not partial to letting me stick his paws in a bowl of water) and then again this morning after our walk.

What is the best ointment to use for paw pads?

Also curious about this! Brooks has frequent redness (not swelling) in between his paw pads as well, and occasionally some scrapes/abrasions on the pads themselves -- but rarely any significant cuts or corns, thankfully. I wonder if there's a good preventative or therapeutic balm that anyone would recommend...

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).